Re: Lhankor Mhy Literacy

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 15:07:28 -0500

>3) I've read most of the debate on Lhankor Mhy literacy, but one
point remains >unclear. The clan Loremasters: presumably they're L.M. initiates? How are they >tested, assuming they're not literate? I can see that the incumbent Loremaster >for their clan could adminster the test (assuming the subject they go for >mastery in is Clan Law/Lore), but what if the previous is dead? Does that clan
>just lose its Lore, or did it somehow get written down, or what?
And wouldn't >the incumbent be suspected of favoritism to his/her own apprentice, anyway?
  1. Literacy has been known in regions adjoining hill barbarian people since the Dawn. All hill barbarian languages, from Sartarite to Brolian, have a written form. All hill barbarian peoples have _someone_ in their lands who can read their tongue as well as speak it. And I'm sure that the LM (or local equivalent) cult provides most scribes.
  2. You need to learn the lore for more than just your own clan, typically, to provide back-up for the tribal lore. You also need more than one Loremaster per clan -- typically you'd have a full-time Loremaster, 1-2 full-time apprentice Loremasters (possibly full-grown adults), and a dozen or more Loremasters who'd memorized (much of) the clan history, but has a day job, too. In the worst-case scenario, the Loremaster's ghost can be summoned forth and questioned. Or it might return on its own and possess some unhappy individual until its lore had been learned. Or the clan might just lose its lore. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
  3. Favoritism is a time-hallowed trait among Orlanthi, and _of course_ the incumbent would tend to award it to his own apprentice.

Sandy