Shift of Ages

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 23:05 MET DST

Sandy Petersen
>TIME TRAVEL IN GLORANTHA
> I am firmly convinced that if time travel takes place in
>Glorantha, it can _only_ occur between entire Ages,

I tend to agree, even with your explanation, but I have some questions about the imlications of this:

>because at the
>end of each Age, the world was reborn anew, and Time, in effect,
>restarted.

This is bloody simple if you think of Dragon Pass adjacent regions (Dragonkill) or God-Learner-infested West (Jrustela, Seshnela, Slontos, Kralorela sunk, Closing, Giftbringers in Umathela), but what about the regions which did not suffer a dramatic collapse at the end of the Second Age? I think specifically of the glorious Carmanian Empire, which maintained a cultural unity (yes, I am aware of the shift between lion and bull emperors) over the shift from 2nd to 3rd Age. How does your average Pelandan (living too far from Dragon Pass to have lost more than an emperor and say a couple of relatives in the Dragonkill, nothing worse than a failed campaign against say the Pentan horselords or Rinliddi) define the end of the 2nd Age, or your average Pentan (ditto)? Are these regions aware that the Ages have shifted around 1043/1050/1120? (They will have little difficulty to accept a shift of Ages in 1247, though...)

And there is the example of Argrath interacting with the Night of Horrors. Does living in the shift of ages qualify as Time having restarted, or at least become weak?

Yours sceptically wrt time travel happening anywhere near my campaigns anyway, though not with personal interaction with the past.