Clan chiefs

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 13:22:14 +0800

>But there's still duties
>like resolving disputes, presiding over ceremonies, opening markets, and of
>course supervising the master brewer and master smith.

        I think a clan chief can continue to remain clan chief even if someone else has to perform many of his duties for him (someone he trusts and who is similarly respected, ideally his brother I would guess.). I think for urban Orlanthi duties can be more formalised - their may be town councils, and legal matters are more common.

        Legal matters are probably a good example. I think clan chiefs are expected to deal with the legal system on behalf of their clan (for matters that are not internal - its a bit more complex for internal matters), and are often jurors (but not lawspeakers). But this is a presumption of a good clan chief, a role that is customary but not anywhere enshrined in the Orlanthi legal system, and so if the clan chief can't do it for some reason (like being King), then the clans next best juror does it.

>has made me wonder a bit whether there has ever been an Orlanthi Moon god or
>goddess.

        careful, we all know what happened when Greg got to wondering about an Orlanthi sun god, and I'm sure this could be even worse. :-)

        But its a good point. Its possible that they might not have really distinguished Sedenya from the planets, but the blue moon must surely have been noticed. Then again, Orlanthi myth tends not to dwell on the sky much (must be all those clouds). And is a bit strange anyway - there are several bodies given names I've heard nowhere else (like Moskalf).

        A related question is does all the Pelorian stuff about Oralanatus going into the sky to battle Kargzant and later Vettebbe (the Evil Star) show up in the Orlanthi myth? I think it should, though in a very different form perhaps, but all I can think of at the moment is some people attribute the downfall of horses the Orlanth.

        Hey, now I remember the other question I had. What does anyone have to say about the Juggernaut, both the earthly body, and the body in the sky (with particular reference to Pelorian stuff, I guess)?

        David