Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #1

From: david_at_dboat.demon.co.uk
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 10:56:39 +0000

 Ingo Tschinke

>>3. The Lunar cults are represented in Sartar by competent, sincere,
>>and often inspirational proselytizers of their faith.
>Absolutly IMO. As I would like to make clear with my writing the
>Lunars undermine the virtues of the Orlanths through such impressing
>people.

Where is half this stuff comeing from. People seem to be throwing around a lot of thoughts on how the Lunars manage the occupation of Sartar. A good example of this touchy feely Lunar conversion is an attempt to build a Lunar temple on top of Orlanth holy spot. Another example occurs where they have one of thiers goons massacre the local Wind Priests.

In any RW example you want to cite any religious based expansion has done so with the edge of a sword.

Now what are the Lunars offering. They offering an end to strife and religious fuliment through helping the Goddess reach what ever goal she is seeking. So what the end results in the clans, sorry I a mean villages because you can kiss the clans goodbye, they will only have meaning among Nobles. You have happy little villagers tilling the soil so they can pay thier taxes to the state. Of course they get to sacrifice their magical strength too, so the Goddess can get that new kitchen or what ever the hell she really wants.

So instead of being proud of your bloodline and bickering with the nasty Brown Horse clan down the road you get to go to the 7 Mothers sponsored garden fete and argue about the size of your cabbages.

Well then what have the Bloody Lunars ever given us. Well a descent into banality springs to mind. The Lunars, Romans and Soviets did not destroy cultures for any mythical search for Utopia. The leaders did it for there own personel gain. The Romans where proably better since they destroyed the cultures under thier sandles twice. If the switch to Christanity by the Empire was not a political move I do not know what the hell was.

So sons of Vingkot beat your plough shears back into swords and lets really make them see red. Conflict is progress, peace is stagnation.

Better Dead than Red.