Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #3

From: Brian Newman <bnewman_at_3rdplanet.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 15:41:32 -0700 (PDT)

In Glorantha Digest Volume 03 : Number 003, Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> IMO the Glowline is caused by the Temples actually manifesting the
> Lunar Glow upon earth. They gain their powers from the Red Moon
> but are also reliant on synergistic radiations from Glamour (perhaps
> the orientation of the moonrock prism to turn [I almost said phase
> - -shift] the lunar radiations from its current state to Full Moon
> Radiation?).
>
> I have also read somewhere that doubts are cast that the Glowline
> _simply_ confers the ability to cast Lunar Magic at fullstrength.
> I think that the effects of the Glowline would be much stronger at
> Glamour than Tarsh. [...]

I've seen lots of good comments on this subject lately.

IMG, the Red Moon hovers over the crater at a constant height (I don't know exactly how high and I haven't tried to figure it out yet, but it's high enough to be seen from as far away as Pavis). At full Full phase, it sits with its full half-globe pointed down into the crater. At that point, when it is at its fullest over Glamour, it would be seen as about 3/4 full over Tarsh and almost that over Pavis.

The Red Moon's axis is aligned east-west, with its North pole facing east, so that, when it turns, the crescent appears at the top of the moon and waxes down, the waning crescent (Crescent-Go) being at the bottom of the moon's sphere.

Inside the Glowline, IMG, the moon always glows red to at least *some* degree, even when totally New, and brighter than outside the Glowline when full. I treat the effects of the moon's phase on Lunar magic inside the Glowline as less and less of a reduction from Full the further toward Glamour it is. Thus, in Glamour and nearby, Lunar magic is always treated as if the moon is full; in Mirin's Cross, a half-moon is like a full moon and a crescent like a half; in Tarsh, a crescent is like a 1/4, a 1/4 like a 1/2, and a 1/2 like a 3/4.

Sure, it's not strictly by any one Gloranthan source material, but it does combine ideas from all of them.