Jarst&Garsting/Harrek/Gloranthan Encyclopedia

From: SimonPhipp_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 20:43:14 -0400

Peter asks:

>Simon also asks questions about:
>
>>(Jarst - Two tribes, unicorn-riding deities, magic weapons/shields
>
>Where did all this come from?

The Gloranthan Encyclopedia:

"Several of the lands surrounding the Empire were said to have been "married in", or "bought" or "ceded" mostly during the height of the Seventh Wane. They never acquired the status of Province, and during the early Eighth Wane more than one tribe rose against the Lunar monks and traders. Other tribes were faithful mercenaries for the Emprire.

"These outer lands were, in general, very rough and scrubby ground, incapable of upholding a pastoral peoples and small forts or landholdings, but were common in many places, but the natives of the hilly lands were more likely to skirmish from the heights than hole up in a fort.

"Jarst was one of these. It was a land of goat and lizard herding tribes, both of whom were constantly at war with each other. The goatherders made a special type of magical shield, while the lizard herders made a special type of magical throwing stone. Both worshipped a phantom horde of unicorn-riding deities which was sometimes glanced in the Jarst barrens.

"Garsting was better, being cut by several tributaries to the Arcos which offered some fair grazing. Stone forts were commoner here. The city of Poralals was maintained on the Arcos. Still, most of the people were sheepherders.

"Balazar was the remnants of the Second Council, preserving a samll pocket of a 1500 year old culture fortified away in the hills of Balazar. They still had princes in their cyclopean citadels, sending bronze swordsmen and spear ranks behind wall-shields to raid the lowlands."

> Harrek feels disgust about destroying a clan? This doesn't sound
> right. He has sacked Sog City, murdered fellow Rathori and
> committed innumerable enormities since then yet Harrek feels no
> remorse over those deeds.

GE: "One of Harrek's most strident protestations against the Empire was their practice of internal assassination and warfare called "Dart Competitions". I am sure that I read somewhere, or heard somewhere, that Harrek killed another clan, then killed the first clan and the Emperor, but I can't find the source.

Also, don't forget that Harrek was a mercenary in the Empire when he was still young, perhaps he has become accustomed to killing now, but those early impressions of cruelty and senseless destruction may still be with him. Who knows?

Incidentally, from the GE again:

"Harrek was born in the land of Fronela, and was a youth during the end of the Syndics Ban. He was a member of the Jalarami Tribe, who had been subjects and allies to the River Kings before the Ban, and who were the hereditary enemies of the Rathori, or Bear People."

So, when Harrek killed the Polar Bear God, he did it as an enemy of the Rathori, not as a member of the tribe, which makes things a lot easier to understand.

Hope this helps

Simon

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #15