Re: Pentan Wagons and metals

From: nilsw_at_ibm.net
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 96 22:24:14 +0000

Back again from the pale shadows in the white nights of Valind's frozen wastes! (Nowadays nobody up here wonders why we call the swedish summer "the green winter").

Peter Metcalfe:
>While I agree that the Praxians don't use wagons, I was of the opinion
>that the Pentans did not use them as well. This was mainly from the
>description of Pent as a grassy plain which would make wood somehwat
>scarce.

Use your creativity: of course the cruel Pentans' war standards are carried on horse-drawn wagons carefully wrought from human bones, preferably the ones of defeated kings and chieftains. These wagons hold lots of enchantments and many bound spirits, for example ghosts of defeated enemies which are released to attack the Pentans' foes in return for their freedom.

Joerg:
>Part of the problem is the change of mind from RQ2's almost hermetic
>metal lore (Rune metals being pure, having to be attuned to be worn)
>to the somewhat less dramatic description in Elder Secrets.
>Pure metals no longer are special, and only iron requires enchantments
>to avoid magic inhibition.

Erik:
>"Enchantment" COULD be seen as "purification" of the metal. Enchant
>(Metal) still brings out mystical capabilities of common junk, you
>know.

The mystical capabilities are cool, but IMO they should be played up more. The older treatment (RQ2) holds more sense of wonder for me at least.

>Another is that there are a lot of things who are not that
>easy to make out of bronze (chainmail? spurs?) or that will be of
>considerable lower quality.

Since there are real world bronze cloak pins and the like I'd say that spurs are no problem, but I have never heard of RW bronze chainmail. Bronze age armour seems to have been plate, scale or lamellar.

As far as I have read the main advantage of iron weapons over their bronze counterparts is that they keep their edge a lot longer. A bronze sword got quite dull after a few armour hits according to this theory (fact?). On the other hand, real world bronze doesn't rust. The oxide gives a protective layer which stops the corrosion from going deeper, in contrast to the porous iron rust.

Gloranthan bronze OTOH can have whatever properties we need it to have. IMG it can be enchanted in various ways if you just know how. My East Isles campaign never got so far, but if the PCs had encountered any Vorumai, they would have met fierce warriors with weapons of different colours, all made of bronze. The colour magic would have given the bronze special abilities: the cerulean magic of Telask makes a weapon sharper (extra damage), the viridian magic of Zaktirra makes it poisonous etc.

| Nils Weinander          	| Everything is dust in the wind
| Office: nils_at_carasoft.se	|
| Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net     	|