Subject Nations: Similarities

From: S McGinness <smcginn_at_csm.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 96 21:03:35 GMT

I have seen so much "learned" discussion on this digest that I was quite surprised to see the hook on the IRA dismissed in a couple of sentences.

I realise that there are LOTS of opinions about this most shady of British (or I suppose Anti_British) of institutions, and that many of them can be heated and emotional but I do believe that Ireland could provide many parallels to the situation in Sartar. I think it would be best to go back 70 years or so when it was the whole of Ireland under occupation and in the midst of insurrection. Going back even further we can see a British parliament with unruly Scots in the borders and unruly Irish over the sea solving their problems in the short term by placing the Scots in Ireland, give the Scots the Irish land and best jobs and turn their energy on each other. Surely an option for the Lunars, give grantlands to similar cultures already part settled in the Lunar way. This should give them something to chew on and leave the good Lunar army time to make new and more profitable conquest elsewhere.

In Ireland, after the "parting of the ways" in 1922 there was a civil war between those who thought that resistance should have gone the whole way, no dealing with the English until all Ireland was free, and those who thought that it was practical to make the concession of the six counties to achieve home rule for the majority.

Is there no-one who thinks that this could provide rich pickings for some campaign on the rights and wrongs of "fighting for freedom"?

Stephen McGinness