I am going to use a naughty word

From: Pearce, Chris <cpearce_at_Incite.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 14:43:27 -0500

Monomyth.

This word seems to be rather reviled on this list, perhaps to the point of demonization. We've seen several references to the concept of non-people on this list. I wonder if "monomyth" has become a non-word.

What do people here mean when they refer to a monomyth? Why, specifically, is it a wrong (or a dangerous) concept?

I've read some of the Campbell works. I'm not so sure he rigidly adheres to the belief that all world myths conform to one and only one overall structure, but, rather, simply that world myths often manifest recurring themes.

Because a model is not 100% true does not make it 100% false, does it?