lunar army

From: Durupt Jean <durupt_at_cc.ec-lyon.fr>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:07:05 1997

Hi all

Sandy wrote about the lunar army structure.

I think that some regiment are owned by powerful families in the empire. They are as disciplined and faithful as the others but the emperor does not have to pay for them. The various sun dome temples in the empire are good examples of this phenomenon.

In dragon pass (the wargame), we have an other corp: the imperial bodyguard.
I think that regiments in this corps guard the emperor and when they are commited to battle have the honour to hold the center of the lunar line of infantry, like the guardes francaises regiment in France's monarchy.

I think too that a regiment that did well during a battle may have the right to add imperial to its name. Thus we have Granite Phalanx the god (tales #12) and the Imperial Granite Phalanx Regiment, the regiment that follows the god.
This is done to enhance emulation among the army.

Each standing regiment in the lunar army has a regimental god, Yelmalio, Lodril, The Invisible God, Shargash are good examples. Each member has to be initiated to the regiment's god. Each officer has to worship Yanafal Tarnils, the empire's war god.

I believe that for some regiments in the native corps the regimental god is (drums ..) Orlanth, especially for regiments recruited in Talastar, Aggar or Tarsh. With this, faithful Orlanthi subjects of the emperor can serve in his army, and help protect their kin against evil orlanthi raiders (from Sartar for example).

Yelmalio and Yelorna

These two gods are very important for any light (or sky) worshiping cultures.

Yelmalio provides light when the sun is blocked (by clouds for example) or in the underworld.

Yelorna discovered the way to the sky and brought back reinforcement during the great darkness.

In my heretical opinion, both are worshiped by the elves, the Dara Happans, the Pelorians and the Pentans, and maybe by the Teshnans.

Agimori and Men and a half

The ancestral agimori were immortal until they drank water. Some became Agimori, ie normal black skinned humans, others became Men and a half, ie fire resistant black skinned humans.
This bothered me for a long time, I now have come to the conclusion that Men and a Half are direct descendant of Lodril.

	Peace
		Jean