Help for Paul, Lunar Army, various

From: owner-glorantha_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:56:00 -0700

Viking Orlanthi -

Our Heortling Orlanthi adopt all of the complications and violence of Viking laws. Many of our scenarios revolve around lawsuits, and could have lept from the pages of many sagas. But then, is it really any wonder? Jeff Richard is a proto-lawer.

Paul Edson is lost:

Welcome, Paul! Sorry about the confusion.

There are several obscure Gloranthan sources and fanzines that are obtainable through mail order only. I think there's a list of them all on David Dunham's Glorantha website. If you can, search for "Glorantha" on the web, and that should take you lots of fun places.

Then there are some Glorantha cons where one can learn a lot. Chicago in January '97; Victoria, Canada in July '97, and Washington, DC in January '98. Talking with people helps, to. Where do you live? Maybe we can hook you up with living, breathing Gloranthaphiles.

Another method: pick an area or culture that interests you: Heortland, Sartar, Prax, Pent, the Trolls, Pamaltela, the East Isles, the Malkioni, or, if you are a truely sophisticated and enlightened person, Dara Happa;-) Focus on that for a while, and see how the Gloranthan myth/physics works there, and run a few little adventures. (Sarter works well for this, because "Apple Lane" and "Troll Pack" have some good introductory scenarios. "River of Cradles" and "Sun County" are good aids for playing in Prax.) Post some questions on the digest, and those with interests in your area will flood you with their ideas.

Yelm spells:

Sandy notes that Yelm has allies (and therefore spells) up the Wazoo.

He does, but I once had a terribe time trying to give a Yelmic PC a Protection spell. None of the Gods of Glorantha write-ups had it for any of Yelm's allies. In fact, I think Storm Bull, Orlanth, and Humakt are the only ones who _do_ have it.

Greatly annoyed, I gave Protection to Shargash and quit worrying about it.

Lunar Army:

Sandy makes a good argument for even DH units using files of seven. Plentonius said they used ten, but the number could have been changed due to the advent of monitors. (And Plentonius may have been more obsessed with the number ten than with accuracy.)

OTOH - someone (MOB? Nick?) suggested that DH units like to operate in tens, but get paid in sevens! This causes a confusing practice of having "phantom files", which exist only on the payrolls. During official inspections, the soldiers have to shuffle around and remember which "phantom file" they're supposed to line up in....

And, to answer Jean's supposition that the tradition of healers in an army was started by the Lunars:

  The Urvairinus the Great created a reserve file of healers in his original army organization - long before the Dawn. (It's in GRoY, I believe.)

Pam

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #32