Secrets

From: JOSE RAMOS <ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 13:32:01 GMT

        Concerning secrets in cults, I have always considered that the smaller the cult, the bigger role is played by secrets.

        So Orlanth, who does have secrets, has most of his myths and abilities public. When "all" orlanthi participate actively in worship, it is hard to consider normal cultic knowledge secret. It is sure to spill in everyday life and everyday language even if there are many things the men will not tell the women (who, after all do not understand those things. Except the Vingans).

        However a cult like Gustbran needs its secrets. For me Gustbran has no special magic apart from Heat Metal (which is a spirit spell). What they have is knowledge. And most knowledge is hard to get oneself (in RQ terms, Intellectual skills that do not improve with practice). So surrounding this skills with cultic restrictions, you ensure the cult future. To be a blacksmith or to be Gustbran is (in Dragon Pass IMG) the same. And cultic status is not linked to magical power (although that helps) but with knowledge.

        The blacksmith is also an orlanthi, and will worship with the others, etc. But he will have also his small rituals and ceremonies, made in secret.

        I envision in RQ many skills with the same structure as Martial Arts. Hard to learn and improve, and enhancing a more general skill or group of skills. To those that say that a blacksmith can with effort self-learn to make a good edge sword, that is what is called research in the RQ3 rules.

        I think that reducing cults to providers of magic reduces their effect in life. Consider Write/Read as a Secret cult skill of the Medieval catholic church (in the Dark Ages). Certainly they are remembered more for that than for the innumerable miracles attributed to saints this same times.

        However, instead of making a secret skill or skills for every cult, think of a cult (or subcult) for each secret/obscure skill.

        More than enough already. Back to work.

Jose (Devotee of St. Albert the Great).