calenders

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 13:40:38 +1200

Micheal Raaterova:

>Anybody have any RW examples of cultural year-cycles not based on
>spring-summer-autumn-winter?

Egypt had three seasons based on the Nile.

Simon Phipp:

>1 Sacred Week at the end of the year (who says that Dara Happa does not have
>a Sacred Time).

The Fortunate Succession says they got the Sacred Time from the Theyalans.

>Unfortunately, the version that I have does not have names for seasons,
>weeks or days and is only a sketch. Does anyone have any extensions
>including names of days etc?

There's a suggestion by me in the digests past that they named it after the horizonal constellations in which the sun last rose in. So after the Sun rises through the marsh, the 'month' becomes Reed (attested to in the GRAY). However with the ten day week, I doubt there are 71 constellations available.

The day names (after the 10 Solar Gods) are much easier, look at the Ten Sons of Yelm and begin counting: Zayteneras, Buserian, Nivorah, Shargash etc.

>As a matter of interest, why did the Dara Happans abandon this
>calendar, or did they actually keep it?

They still have it IMO. Most of the Lunars in Dragon Pass are from the provinces and would use the Theyalan Calender by habit. A good RW example of this is Josephus, a Jewish Historian in the 1st CE Roman Empire, who uses the Macedonian Calender (stemming from Alexander the Great's conquest) in his writings.