Primitive magic

From: nilsw_at_ibm.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 20:50:35

David Dunham:
>In my pre-Dawn Peloria
><http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/oroninela.html>, there aren't
>really spells either (you'd sing or dance, and being part of a group gave
>you more effects). My system is still incomplete, but when a player
>complained that spirit magic was easier, I knew I was on the right track.
>Primitive magic (and I don't mean magic of primitive people) *should* be
>less advanced.

OK, if you had equated "primitive magic" with "magic of primitive people" I would have disagreed immediately, since there is no reason why a people with a "primitive" material culture should have less shamanic or divine magic. However, I do have one question, which people have this primitive magic and why?

The examples, Hsunchen and pre-dawn Pelorians seem like "primitive" people in the material sense and I can't see why there myths should be less deep or their knowledge of the spirit world less profound. Rather  on the contrary, their low technological could give a stronger impetus to delve deeply into the mysteries of the Otherworld than is present in sophisticated, and definitely highly magically able, third age cultures like the western and the Kralorelan.

Weinander            | Everything is dust in the wind Home:
nilsw_at_ibm.net       |

Office: nils_at_carasoft.se |
WWW: http://www.angelfire.com/pages1/nilsw/index.html