LBQ

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:12:16 -0700

Hi All

        Some have down-sized the importance of the LBQ to the cultures connected to it. I think this is slightly naive and I would like to point out certain facts (some of which appear to have been forgotten).

  1. The LBQ is one of the hardest and most important heroquests/myths in Glorantha (IFWW & RGQ being the other two I could mention).
  2. Its is one of the central defining myths of Orlanthi culture and important in several others.
  3. It *IS* the renewal myth to end all others and is all about fetching the sun (Yelm) back from the underworld after the darkness of winter. IMO Sacred Time is 14 days long to allow the LBQ to be enacted! IMO Sacred Time is primarily LBQ time!
  4. While some cultures (eg. Dara Happan) may describe the events of the LBQ differently and place more importance on the actions of different gods and goddesses I doubt that anyone in all Glorantha would totally ignore the LBQ.
  5. After all the LBQ is the root of the GREAT COMPROMISE!

Now I come to think about it the LBQ determined the length of the year as TIME had 294 helpers!

Basically, my take on the LBQ is that if you do not enact/support the LBQ during sacred time you are likely to either turn into Chaos or you will become a souless zombie like the Brithini. I suppose if you were realy bad you might turn into a Vadeli. Intelligent types might even become Blue Vadeli!

OK, so thats a wildly speculative nightmare but...

Cheers

        Lewis