Re: Kralori magic

From: nilsw_at_ibm.net
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 96 08:20:25

Me:
>Anyway, I think that both sorcery and spirit magic is quite alien to
>the Kralorelan way. I think the Kralorelans are so infused with
>draconic inluence that they have a hard time using magic other than
>their own native mysticism.

Tim Torres:
>So if a Kralori citizen in a hsunchen area were to befriend (for example) a
>deer hsuncheon shaman, perhaps saving his life, might the shaman offer his
>wisdom to the Kralori citizen in a gesture of gratitude and friendship and if
>so might that citizen actually learn something useful about spirit magic.
>And if he did, would his mystic ties to dragon magic somehow be weakened by
>this (dare I call it) god-learning?

IMO, it is possible to learn magic from another paradigm, but it is very hard. And that goes not only for the Kralerolans. So if the Kralorelan in the example spent an entire year with the Hsunchen, living their kind of life, he might learn to use spirit magic to full effect. Otherwise, I think he perhaps can learn the spells, but his casting chance is lower, perhaps POW*2 or POW*3, in RQ rules terms.

To continue the Kralorelan thread, a foreigner who wishes to enter Kralorela proper has to spend a year in Lur Nop. As I have written before I think that the foreigners learn the Kralorelan way during that year. So, after that, they can learn mysticism to full effect.

As to whether your original magic weakens when you learn another type, it is perhaps logical, but also no fun. It's also difficult to make fair rules for.

Weinander            | Everything is dust in the wind Home:
nilsw_at_ibm.net       |

Office: nils_at_carasoft.se |
WWW: http://www.angelfire.com/pages1/nilsw/index.html

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #93