soul and spirit

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:50:00 -0400

Mike Cule asks the difference between soul and spirit:

I can't speak for how Greg uses the terms but ancient Christian theology did make a distinction (depending which heresy you followed). The Soul was that non-material part of a being that was common to all living beings. It was the life-force. The Spirit was a higher thing, it was that element of god-like nature that was possessed by all human beings. Thus the possession of Spirit differentiated humans from animals. (At least that's how I remember the description.)

I don't think the two terms would be used that way in RQ. We'd be more likely to reverse the two. Spirit would be the life-force, the combination of INT and POW, that is common to all living beings (and many non-living). Soul would be that intangible essence of the person that the Malkioni sects believe goes on to Solace. Many cultures (like the theists) probably don't believe in the Soul. The see only the body and the spirit. The tripartite person, body, spirit, and soul, fits well with Malkioni symbolism.