Vadeli

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:43:00 -0400

Richard Melvin:
Your proposal that Brown Vadeli do not choose to become Reds, but rather are forced to because of inevitable loss of their own fertility is an interesting one. It should have some potential for MGF. Perhaps certain Browns, seeking to stave off the loss of fertility and the inevitable change to Red, would contract with PCs to seek out rare and precious aphrodisiacs and other magical items. There could be a lot of adventures coming out of it.

It has the drawback of making the Red Vadeli into the victims of circumstances beyond their control rather than being personally responsible for choosing their lifestyle. I would rather have the Vadeli choosing freely as it makes them more hateful and evil. So, if we end up describing the Vadeli as consciously evil (my preference) then it doesn't fit so well, if we end up describing them as amoral then I quite like your suggestion.

I'm not so keen on the notion of Blues being able to keep armies of Reds or corporations of Browns alive and not aging. I think it would detract from the interest and horror of the Reds and Browns if it freed them from their horrible obligatory practices. Furthermore, if it had been so in earlier ages of the world, then I can't see how the Brithini could have withstood the Vadeli. The mechanisms we have postulated already would limit Vadeli reproduction to much the same level that the Brithini have. Your theory of the Blues would take off that limit. With unrestricted reproduction and immortality, the Vadeli would have cleared away the Brithini (and all the other mortal races) long ago. Sorry, it was a really neat sounding idea, but I don't think it works out.

Now the following is a twisted and interesting idea:
>3 All Vadeli children are brought up to worship their father, and look forward
> to the day they can make the ultimate sacrifice for them. Only those found
> un-pure or unworthy are denied this opportunity, and must instead bear the
> next generation. Consequently, all adult Vadeli consider themselves to be
> 'bad', as all 'good' Vadeli die during childhood.
This could be a good explanation of why the breeding pool vadeli don't rebel very often against their parents. It also adds a something sick to the psychological makeup of the adult Vadeli. I like it.

So, what about your original question of 'why would a brown choose to become a red?' I'm not sure I have a complete answer but I think I can suggest some possibilities.

After centuries of risk-avoidance as a Brown maybe life loses its gusto and enjoyment. The Brown becomes jaded. He needs to do something different and to begin taking risks again. Otherwise his immortal life becomes worthless. He might as well be a Brithini if he's going to live eternally but joylessly.

If I'm right that the Vadeli need to be disturbed by their horrid rituals, maybe the Browns after enough centuries lose that frisson of disgust and become accustomed to the rituals. Then they would need to graduate to even worse atrocities to keep up their own level of disgust at their practices. The blood rituals of the Reds might be that next level.

Maybe only a small minority of Browns, those with particular ambitions, ever do make the change. These would be individuals with a drive towards personal power that is stronger than their fear of death. For them the risks are worth the rewards.

Do any of these, or a combination, sound like good enough reasons to give up the safe cowardly existence of a Brown for the risky and exciting existence of a Red?