Block/Castle Blue/Citizenship/Seven

From: SimonPhipp_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 19:11:20 -0400

Nick Brooke says:

>I'm afraid your question looks barking mad at first sight. The Block is a
>lump
>of magic rock in the middle of a stinking bog in the middle of a scorching
>desert, surrounded by filthy, hairy berserk barbarians and infested with
>Chaotic
>monstrosities. Why on earth would anyone want to turn this hellhole into a
>resort?

Ayres Rock, anyone? (OK, no Bog and no Chaotic monstrosities, but loads of desert and hairy barbarians - it is in Oz, after all :-) )

Lewis:
> All they would have to do is really beat it up until
> it is helpless, drag it to the Block, dig a big tunnel under the Block
> and shove the Bat inside. Bye, bye Bat;-)

Dig a tunnel under the Block - are you mad? Wakboth is just waiting for people to do that.

Castle Blue

David B. Henderson:

> I reckon the major cause of the Orlanthi/Lunar friction, and probably the
> whole Castle Blue fracas, was territory.

Actually in the Gloranthan Encyclopedia it syas that Harash Darbeest, who was married to a princess from Castle Blue, was slain in the Battle of the Four Arrows of Light and his sons took vows to avenge his death. The fight escalated until the Red Emperor became involved, then the Red Goddess and the Old Gods. Everyone seems to have been sucked in.

Whatever the cause, the outcome was that the Red Goddess was accepted into the Compromise.

John Brown asks why the Red Goddess wanted to become part of the Compromise. Well, if she were a purely Pelorian goddess, there would be no need since the Pelorians do not accept the Compromise. However, she knew full well that to become completely enmeshed into the fabric of the world, she had to do some extraordinary things. She knew that none of the major powers would accept the use of Chaos and would fight her using all their means. One of the Theyalan (Orlanthi) means was to invoke the powers of the Compromise and use it to destory those deities who were breaking it or opposing it. Therefore she voluntarily became part of the Compromise so the Orlanthi could not use it against her. Clever, eh? This meant that to destroy her the Orlanthi had to break the Compromise and destroy the world, which is exactly what happened.

I see the Red Goddess as being all things to all men (it must be Hell in there - Major Bloodnock) so she acts Pelorian to the Pelorian, Hrestoli to the Hrestoli and Theyalan to the Theyalans. She incorporates parts of all their religions into her own worship and thus becomes acceptable to them all. This is why she would have won if it wasn't for that pesky Argrath and his Dragons.

Pam Carlson made some interesting points about the Compromise, or why there isn't one. However, to rephrase my question in her terms - Which of the deities are large enough so that their actions are totally restricted and they cannot interact with the world in a free fashion?

I do think that the Dara Happan City Gods came out to play in the Zeroth Wane, in the same way that Pavis can appear without being summoned by a worshipper, or the Crimson Bat or Cacodemon can be manifested.

I would really, really like to know what other people think, as in my campaign the Hero Wars are upon us and the minor gods will be playing a very active part very soon, before those bound by the Compromise/resticted by having too many worshippers/will not act in the nasty world make an appearance.

Citizenship:

Yes, women can be citizens of the Lunar Empire, Pelandan city states and probably most other Pelorian cultures, but not, in my opinion, of Dara Happa since I think that only Yelm worshippers can be citizens. In any case, Dara Happa no longer exists as a political entity, but the same applies to the Dara Happan city states. A woman could be a high-ranking citizen of the Lunar Empire and not be allowed to own propertty in Yuthuppa, in my view. Similarly, a Holy Country Prince may not be a citizen of Esrolia, even though he was born there - he is a male and therefore has no citizenship rights.

In ancient Greece, I believe that women could not be citizens of certain city states, nor could freed men. Very unfair but that's life.

Michael Cule's Magic Number:

Seven Lightbringers, Seven Mothers, Seven Days of the week, Seven Directions, Seven Elements (Six + Law?), Seven Sacred Ancestors, Seven Winds, killing gods by breaking them into 49 (7x7) pieces........ I am sure there are many more, but I am tired and it is late.

Many people have posted on Vadeli etc. and used the "Lovecraft" exmaple of how to describe things non-graphically. Well, I have always had my own views on Lovecraft and why he wrote like that (sort of along the lines of the sculptor from Chelmsford 123 who couldn't do noses) but I'll keep quiet so as not to outrage the Cthulhu-freaks :-)

Bye

Simon