Harrek!

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 11:21:43 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

>the Wolf Pirate success over the Pharaonic navy was possible even
>with mermen support of the Holy Country, IMO, especially if Peter
>Metcalfe is right about Harrek having been there with a bunch of
>fresh Ygglinga (which is difficult to reconcile with his sack of
>Sog a year later - apparently from the land, with mercenary support
>from the upper Janube valley).

Huh? This is not what I claimed. The Sack of Sog City was in 1613/14 *before* the Sack of the Rightarm Isles. And Harrek's fresh Ygglinga forces only appear a year *after* the Sack of the Rightarm Isles.

Approximate Chronology of Harrek's Actions for the Perplexed.

  1. Harrek sacks Sog City at the head of an army. [The Genertela Book]
  2. Harrek is forced to take the first ship out of Sog City due to obscure and probably unfavourable circumstances. His army has gone home for the winter IMO and Harrek is unable to raise any more troops before the Loskalmi mobilize in the spring. [My hypothesis to explain the appparent confusion in dates].
  3. Harrek's Ship is met by a wolf pirate vessel (based in Ginorth IMO) and is attacked. After most of the wolf pirates suddenly find themselves in hell, Harrek is offered a place in the Wolf Pirates. He accepts. [ToTRM#10 Sea Special]
  4. Harrek sails to the Threestep Isles and participates in the destruction of the Holy Country Fleet and the brutal sack of the Rightarm Isles. He becomes leader of the Wolf Pirates at this time. [The Genertela Book]
  5. Harrek *then* sails to Ygg's Isles where he heroquests to become Ygg's Champion. Half the population of the isles call themselves the Wolf Pirates of the Sea Bear and travel to the Three Steps Isles looting the coastline as they go by. [The Genertela Book].

All clear now?

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #148