Sorcerors and Spirits

From: Jesper Wahrner <jewahr_at_hts.pp.se>
Date: 05 Sep 96 21:00:18 +0100

 Peter Metcalfe:

                                <...>

 PM> I don't  believe that a random intelligent spirit in the Otherworld is
 PM> going to  be hostile to any sorcerers that it meets.  It's likely to be
 PM> far more concerned about a Shaman that it meets because a Shaman is
 PM> able to make  it do things it doesn't want to do.

 But the spirit would hardly ever meet a sorceror until the time it  finds itself summoned to the mundane plane, something that usually  turns the spirit hostile even if it wasn't beforehand. The shaman has  the option of approaching the spirit directly on the spirit plane. How  the spirit reacts would be dependent on the individual shamans reputation  on the spirit plane and how he approaches the spirit in question. Gaining  the trust of a powerful spirit might take years and include offerings  and songs. I don't think that a shaman who doesn't treat his local  spirits reverently won't be very successful.

 PM> IMO Sorcerers have shitty experiences with the Otherworld because the
 PM> main focus of their magic is the *material* world.  The Otherworld is
 PM> a different set of rules altogether and that is why they avoid it
 PM> generally.

 This is sort of the point I wanted to make. When a sorceror turns to  the spirit plane it is because he needs to get something done on the  mundane plane and he believes that a spirit can do the job. His interests  will only rarely coincide with those of the spirit, unlike the shaman who  often can seek out specific spirits with similar "goals" as him/herself.  This doesn't mean that the sorceror mercylessly plunders the spiritplane,  but I don't think he knows much about it either.

 Yours,
 Jesper

... Quodcumque incedis sequitur mors corporis umbra. - --- Blue Wave/386 v2.21

.-->

 `---->