Re: Sorcery and spirits

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 09:15:25 -0500

Peter Metcalfe presents an argument that spirits would not be hostile to sorcerers, because sorcerers don't go around binding spirits as often.
	The term "spirits" is pointless in this connection, however.
There is no such thing as a generic spirit. Instead, probably tens of
thousands of types of spirits inhabit the gray zone, and even within
a given type they vary in personality and experience.

        Any spirit that meets a sorcerer on its own plane is going to react to that sorcerer with respect to its own needs and purposes. A sorcerer will be perceived as prey by predatory spirits, as rivals by many intelligent spirits, as an unnatural intrusion by some, and as meaningless background noise by still others.

>It's likely to be far more concerned about a Shaman that it meets
>because a Shaman is able to make it do things it doesn't want to do.

        BUT shamans don't just go onto the spirit plane, attack spirits and forcibly take them home as slaves. At least not intelligent ones. I perceive shamans as perfectly able to negotiate deals with spirits, using threats, force, pleading, familial relationships, bribery, etc.

        Why attack a Dehore if you can present yourself as a friend of the Dark, and talk it into temporarily accompanying you back to the mundane plane? In return for which you'll erect a shrine and sacrifice a small animal to its memory every year (or whatever a particular Dehore might want). Why engage Uncle Einar in spirit combat, when he's perfectly happy to cooperate if you'll only bite off one of your own fingers for him? Guy Hoyle knows what I'm talking about?

        A non-intelligent spirit may not be subject to negotiation, but they also won't be hostile to shamans _because_ they lack the brains to know that shamans are a possible threat.

        A shaman knows his way around the spirit plane. He has spirit perceptions, skills, etc. He is at home here. A sorcerer blunders about, half-blinded and thrashing like a wounded fish. The commotion he throws up has two effects -- frightening away the timid, and attracting the malign.

Sandy P.