Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #178

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 96 19:01 MET DST

Peter Metcalfe in reply to my
>>There must be some witch tradition in Seshnela as well, dating back to the
>>cult of Seshna Likita [...] they may be more or as much shamanistic than
>>theistic...

>I think their magics would be more sorcerous. The 'old women in town' who
>treat sicknesses (mentioned in WMFTM: A personal view of Western Culture)
>seem to be related to them and they are not suppressed by the Rokari Church
>(presumably because their magics seem respectable?)

Healers aren't really challenged for their magical methods as long as they behave - for one thing, respect the church as superior authority, pay church dues, and act only as assistants to the church officials. On the part of the (Chalan Arroy?) healers, this subterfuge will be acceptable, I suppose, especially where the healers are less closely tied to the Lightbringer myth.

When I said witch, I meant the wise women (or rarely men) outside of town, among the disrespectable people, which no doubt exist in Seshnela as well as anywhere else. Roving people who perform tasks deemed unacceptable to good people you tolerate in your community.

Is there a hermit tradition in Malkionism, BTW?