Questions Answered

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 23 Oct 96 06:59:53 EDT

Robert Baumgartner (aiee! another one!) asked some sensible questions:

> I haven't found much information about troll sorcerers in TrollPak and
> Elder Secrets. Can initiates of Kyger Litor learn Sorcery? What happens
> if a player rolls as parents profession Sorcerer for instance?

Arkat Kingtroll stole the secrets of Sorcery from the Malkioni of the West and taught them to his kin. Troll sorcerers most likely learned their Black Art from the Cult of Arkat.

> The Ogre in the Sun County Scenario Melisande's Hand claims to be an Argan
> Argar initiate, but he also seems associated to the Cacodemon Cult. I can't
> find any hints that he is not a Argan Argar initiate but only claiming to
> be one - and this sounds a bit strange for me that someone is related to
> a Troll cult and to a chaos cult who are one of the worst enemies to each
> other.

How do the Argan Argari know he's an Ogre, eh? He looks human (and they accept humans), he doesn't act like a Chaos Fiend (Ogres *try* not to stick out), and the Argan Argar cult doesn't have any special Chaos-sensing skills or spells to flush him out with... I see no contradiction.

> Is there anywhere some information about the Sun Dome County southwest of
> Sartar (Genertela Book p.59/60)? Is it still inhabited by Yelmalio cultists?
> I get the impression in Sun County (p.4) that in 877 most went to the new
> lands southeast of Pavis.

That's mostly right. The Sun Dome Temple in Dragon Pass was a ruin until very recently: the Cult of Yelmalio, if it existed before in Dragon Pass, was certainly wiped out by the Dragonkill War at the end of the Second Age, along with the rest of the human population of the Pass. There are indications that the Praxian Sun Dome Temple was founded by colonists from this site, but it is hard to know how "similar" the original cult worshipped at the Dragon Pass Sun Dome would have been.

The Dragon Pass Sun Dome Temple was resettled and refounded in the late sixteenth century by Monrogh, formerly a companion of King Tarkalor Trollkiller of Sartar. This was a political gambit to reduce tension between the followers of Orlanth and Elmal among the many clans of Sartar. The cult of Elmal had originally been the sun-god of the barbarians, Orlanth's Loyal Thane, but with emissaries from Dara Happa "reminding" the Elmali of the Sun's imperial pedigree, tensions over who should rule the clans had been growing in Sartar. Monrogh and Tarkalor nipped this in the bud by organising a mass emigration of Elmal cultists and clansmen to the Sun Dome Temple south-west of Sartar and outside the Kingdom.

Monrogh got his inspiration from at least three sources:

  1. A visit to the Praxian Sun Dome Temple of Yelmalio...
  2. ... en route to the Solar Temple ruled land of Teshnos...
  3. ... where he experienced the "Vision of the Many Suns".

The name of "Yelmalio" was brought back to Dragon Pass from the Praxian Sun Dome, but the cult practices of the Dragon Pass Sun Dome are *not* a direct copy of the Praxian model. Indeed, it seems Monrogh's return from Teshnos to Praxian Sun County may have been the seeds of a heresy, exstirpated recently by Count Solanthos Ironpike.

Other authors suggest that Monrogh borrowed ideas from the elves, too: I can't see where this fits in, or what signs of it there are in the modern temple structure, and suspect Hilliam Wants West was making this up.

There are still some Elmali in Sartarite clans, but fewer than there were up until the refounding of Sun Dome. The situation in Far Point (north of the Creek, around Alda Chur and Alone) is different, as this was not part of the Kingdom of Sartar when Tarkalor ruled and Monrogh led the exodus.

Please note that this is a confused and controversial subject: some people think "Yelmalio" was only invented recently and never existed before, even in Sun County; others think that there's no such god as "Elmal", and never has been. The account above is my compromise solution, and may please nobody but myself. Blame it on Greg.

> How is the Ducks' life in Sartar after Starbrow's Rebellion? In River of
> Cradles I get the impression that all ducks who weren't killed fled from
> Sartar, but when reading Apple Lane for instance I get no impression that
> the Ducks are outlaws in Sartar.

The first issue of the "RuneQuest Adventures" fanzine has a lot of good material on how the Ducks get along under Lunar persecution, in its scenario "Escape from Quackford". You may be able to find a copy; I believe this scenario was included in the "Best of RQA" compilation, though I can't check this.

Apple Lane appears to be set before the Lunar conquest of Sartar (do you see any Lunars there that aren't round and silver?), and is certainly before Starbrow's Rebellion (the scenario pack was first published before the Rebellion happened). So in it the Ducks aren't exiles... yet.

Nick