What do the Lunars know?

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 15:03:54 +0100

David Weihe says:
>My guess is that the Lunars have garrisons at every major oasis who

While Eric Seurin discusses the reality of myth and the understanding gap of ordinary Gloranthans.

This prompts me to ask: how much less (than us) might the people of Glorantha know about the geography of their world? Does the Empire know the locations of all the oases (major or otherwise)? I guess Gloranthan mapping is more of an art than a science.

Are the maps of Prax, Balazar and the Elder Wilds really products of the Lunar survey teams? If so how many hoplites did it take to protect them while they did their thing out there?

My surmise is that Inner Prax is reasonably well surveyed but that the Wastelands are glorantha incognita as far as any but a nomad is concerned. The Tunnelled Hills and the Plateau of Statues are said to be out there somewhere but who knows where....

Elsewhere in Genertela I would imagine the Kralorela is minutely mapped but would a Safelstran have anything but the haziest idea of extent of the Elven stronghold of Ballid, or the area of Ormsland or Karia?

This may cause grief to the "Objective Time-line Lobby" but should we regard the G:GCOTHW maps as being as subjective as anything in the accumulated mythos?

Just a thought.

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte.co.uk