Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #265

From: danny bourne <d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:50:38 GMT

>Consider the following quotes (all from KoS) of godtime events.
>
>p57 et al

>And that should be enough methinks. People may wonder what
>exactly caused Night and Day in the Old Days as Yelm did not
>set. IMO the Sun regularly travelled in the heavens between
>two points and then completed the circuit on the other side
>of the heavens. The night was not dark as it is now but more
>like a twilight.

You've got to remember that this isn't an exact report of what happened, it's the writing down of what someone said happened. A Gloranthan native isn't going to say well all these events happened at the same time, but were related to cause and effect because pre-time is 3D and we're now living in a 4D world. If they had studied Parmenion, for example, a priest would say there are only two things, that which is and that which is not. Before time it was not, after time now it is - but nobody would understand what the hell he was going on about. Reported history's got to make sense to those it is reported to and First Age learning in Glorantha, I would posit, would be extremely limited. (c4,000 BC RW?)

> Think of the myths as chronicling the discovery of the Heroplane
>powers (this comes across fairly accessibly in the Entekosiad IMO). When
>Humakt discovered death, that was not really the first time people died.
>But it is a memory of the first time people realised that Death was a
>primal power, that could be invoked in their magics. Humakt is not a real
>person, he is just as symbolic as Grandfather Mortal is.

Indeed. In other words, it's a way a priest can explain death and dying to his flock. 'Once, when the world was good, no-one was old, no-one died, we did not have to hunt and farm but now we do because....' But the whole body of myth doens't need to be internally consistant, as long as it placates/calms the lay members. People want to know the reasons behind lightning because it frightens them. When they 'know' what it is, it's not unknown, therefore not frightening.

> So, theres my metaphysics

I think it's actually theogenics, although cosmogeny is a safer word to use.

>Before this event, one can find Glorantha-equivalents to photons with
>long time-like loops, as well as those with large space-like loops. And
>no infinitely long, very massive, rotating tubes required.
>

>> Chris Lemens, God Learner.

Chris, my brain's melting. How can I become a god learner if I don't understand a bloody word :)

ause I like Oliver Bernuetz's second post about
>pre-Time being 3-D and Time being 4-D)

If you look at yourself in 4D you'll see an outline of yourself in all the places that you've ever been all at the same time - so you'll look like a very, very, very long amorphous blob. This is the way you can have co-existing realities as you will pass through where other people were/will be. So, if you could view all Time at one instance - (so you would be outside Time, perhaps in Godtime) you would see where everyone has gone/will go, but wouldn't have any undertanding of the events that caused the shapes that are these 4D people. Can anyone understand this or is that drool starting to collect on my keyboard?

>I very much like Daniel McCluskey's explanation of the difference between
>pre-Time and Time and propose to initiate him as a God Learner (which ought
>to completely convince the rest of ye ignorant backwater heathens that he is
>wrong).

Yep, count me in as a God Learner, I've got a secret about us you ought to know.