Time

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:11:32 +0000

> You have not disproven that effect erosion did not occur then. A
> simple example makes me think otherwise. People became hungry in
> the Old Days and ate to fill their bellies. The time taken for
> things to mature is another example (ie Erosion of Youth).

I am not convinced that this is relevant. I view maturing in a positive manner, the youth is gaining strength, size, knowledge and wisdom. Thus the initial "aging" process is a building process, the generally positive result of experience and self development. Of course one might get injured or maimed during this process but that would be the result of an event, not time.

It is only after "age" 30 or so that people start to show the effects of time. We get weaker etc. because we are being eroded by time...

Is there any evidence (especially from an Orlanthi POV) that people died of Old Age before the Dawn. I know we have loads of references to Grandfather Mortal (which just means that he had had loads of kids who had begat kids etc.) and a few to Old Man (which might just be post event translation). But I can't remember any evidence that the Orlanthi had the concept of people dieing from the aging process before the Dawn.

> I never said they measured it in years! I said they did believe in a
> linear time occuring in Godtime and listed days/nights and genealogies
> in support. IMO if an Orlanthi if years existed then he would have said
> that Years are invention of the Evil Emperor with his 294 commoners. We
> only tolerate them now because of the Great Compromise.

I must confess my ignorance here, but is not the tale of the Emperor and his 24 servants returning from Hell after the LBQ the first point where the number 294 appears in Orlanthi Mythology?

Please help me out.

Cheers

        Lewis