Free will(y) vs determinism

From: danny bourne <d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:53:05 GMT

RE: Nick Thed-Shaman & Saravan
> Do I lack Free Will?

Do you choose to get old? Do you choose to breathe? If you knock a glass of wine over, do you choose do so or is it accidental? Certain events happen regardless of whether anyone has free will or not, because peopel can cause events that conscious choices.

>> I'd hope the answer is no. I'd hope that people believe that no matter how
>>constrained I am by society around me, I can make my own choices.
>
>Aha.. my own view is that everyone always has choice, but never Free
>Choice.

The argument about free will is not whether people choose to do something, but if they have the freedom to choose between doing/not doing something. If it is already determined (hence determinism) that they're going to make a choice then there is no real choice. It's a very interesting philosophical debate (partly used as in the arguments for/against the existence of god). [Although where the whale comes in, I'm not too sure] :-)
e-mail me personally and I'll tell you more.

RE: Michael R
>> If this is so, then aren't the chaos hating Orlanthi playing into the
>>hands of the chaos gods during the Hero Wars when Argrath & Harrek destroy
>>the Lunars?
>
>Exactly! Isn't it a beautiful irony?

Hold on, someone's agreed with something I've posted, that's not right. Mind you, it explains nicely to me how Dorastor was formed. Arkat breaks/bends the COmpromise which allows chaos in, hence Dorastor. See, I always said Arkat should be despised by all chaos hating cults.

BTW: The time stuff has been the most interesting thing I've ever read on the digest, despite some of it being labelled as crap. This discussion has changed the way I view my game world. Rounds of applause to all concerned. Karl Popper would be proud.

That being said, however, I'm sceptical of this how the Orlanthi would react stuff as it depends entirely on your players, the Orlanthi not being 'real', and I, for one, wouldn't want to impose ideas of how it should be on them, that's not the point of roleplaying