Journals of a Shargashi

From: owner-glorantha_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu
Date: 13 Nov 96 15:40:39 EST

This story is a campaign write up of my character in Pam Carlsons Alkoth campaign. Its set in 1615. (Keep up the good work Pam!)

                        Journals of a Shargashi

By: Vrantharus Urashmallek

This is a record of my life in the great city of Alkoth, home of the Lord of Destruction and of my family, the mighty House Urashmallek. Reference will be made throughout this work to the specific texts and scrolls of my regular studies into the ways of Shargash, the Emperors and heroes who have brought us truth, purity, justice, the conquest of evil Digijelmi and wild barbarians in all their forms.

Day 1 of my journal

        I swung in hard but kept my shield up and angled, ready for any possible counter- stroke. My foe shifted quickly, using reflexive footwork that showed his great experience and cunning. My attack missed but the force of my blow had been substantial and pulled me within range of his strike.

        I parried desperately as his axe arced in low, towards my abdomen, but I only got the edge in the way - it wasn't enough. Pain shocked me momentarily as his edge drew blood through my cuirboilli, but it was not a deep wound and the strength of Shargash was in me while he was merely a barbarian, without breeding, purity or truth. I knew no fear and attacked in a way he didn't expect.

Reference:

        Eusibus - "The Way of Shargash"; "Always fight with your mind as well as your body." (Chapter 12, The Path of Combat).

        I roared out "SHARGASH!" and jumped, smashing my body into him before he could create distance and use those clever feet of his again. My mass was sufficient to knock him sprawling and in his fall he couldn't block a mighty blow from my mace that caved in part of his skull, even through his helm. The blood splattered onto the floor and I knew great joy as the beat of power that always filled me grew stronger; Shargash had heeded my victory and was pleased at the offering in blood from myself and my foe!

        Impassioned, my strength grew even greater in my wrath and I smashed aside the fallen warrior's feeble parries, striking again and again at his head till it became misshapen, like a lemon crushed by a cart. The spray of blood soaked into the sands and splashed me till I looked like I wore the armour of the Red King himself.

        My instructors tackled me and disarmed me before I could make the body unusable for the evening ceremony. "Practice over Vrantharus!" Snapped the Combat Master as I rose to my feet from amid the tangle of other Shargashi. "Remember what Eusibus said?" He demanded.

        I was still flushed with victory but knew that tone and responded quickly. "Eusibus said:" And I quoted this famous reference:

Reference:

        Eusibus - "The Way of Shargash"; "Never dwell on a defeated for foe there will always be another to crush." (Chapter 12, The Path of Combat).

" I should have remembered, I am sorry for my laxness." I was contrite
but I knew it would mean extra study. Its one thing to know the words but another to remember them in the heat of practice (and hopefully, Yelm willing, in true battle some day).

        I left for the baths with a few of my Polo teammates from our House. None were immediate family but they all served House Urashmallek in their own ways and were full Shargashi too. We were looking forward to the next game against House Arin-Torza for they were newcomers to the city having only been here a couple of centuries. Incredibly, the Arin-Torza team touted their ancestor; Takenegi as if his name meant something to us! I know we are part of the Lunar Empire and acknowledge the perfection of our current Emperor and his crimson Light but it rankles to have to treat such low-born upstarts as equals. Clearly, it is why their House commands the Sewers and Cisterns position whereas House Urashmallek, descended from Urvairinus himself, commands the much more prestigious Great market and all the lesser markets within the city.

        I arrived at the bath house and went to our section. House Urashmallek maintains its own section in the baths to separate us from the Lodrili and other low-born types. My half-brother, Golden Khorvenus was there, relaxing after a hard days study and contemplation . Khorvenus waved a dignified greeting as I was relieved of my clothes by our House Favoured Servant; Keen. I soon sank into the hot waters beside Khorvenus where I inquired on my brothers progress in his classes. Unlike me, Khorvenus was destined to be the next Imperator of the House and followed the ways of Yelm much more strongly than I.

"My studies into the ceremonial truths of Yelm grow deeper Vrantharus."
He said. "Yet I have much to learn for the examples to learn from are many."

"You speak with the far seeing-sight of Pole Star himself brother. I too
have many examples to learn from. I learnt much today. I slew a slave warrior and gave him to Shargash though my instructors would have healed him and used him again in further ritual combats had I not smashed in his skull. Supplies of captured barbarians grow scarce for the fighting arenas. The campaigns in the Southlands must be nearing an end yet we see no sign of father."

        Khorvenus nodded solemnly as Keen bent down to wipe some sweat off the noble lords face. "Indeed, he has been absent for some time now yet I doubt that any barbarian could smite down Khorzanus; full as he is with the Strength of Shargash and the Purity of Yelm."

        As we pondered the fate of Khorzanus; our mutual father (my mother is Liena, a barbarian concubine whereas Khorvenus was birthed by Shapira of Yuthuppa) our Sylilan cousin; Hyamestes of Jillaro came in from his own lessons and sank into the bath with us. He was joined scant moments later by cousin Kanveranus. He too was finished for the day.

        Hyamestes was studying in Alkoth to receive a fuller education. Our poor country cousin was limited in his progress within the Empire by his adherence to the barbaric ways of the typical Sylilan. He could neither read nor write and worshiped a Lunar Goddess called Hwarin Dalthippa. I had studied her campaigns and the resultant works on logistical preparation, of course, yet felt strongly that her proponents could have learnt similar principals from a thorough study of Urvairinus, Ordanestyu or Radaidavu.

Reference:

        Urvairinus the Conqueror - "Campaigns of Urvairinus , the Conqueror of all and Lord of Armies." - "The impure laud the ways of combat. The Just understand logistics." (Chapter 3 - On the feeding of men). See note 236 in Appendices 16 for a list of examples where the omission of this simple precept caused defeat.

        Erzanestyu - "The Erzanestyu Scrolls"; - "All Emperors at war wish for greater numbers at the moment of decision. Those radiant in the light of Yelm prepare their resources well, to have them there long before they are needed." (Chapter 1, On the Mustering of Armies). See further, Appendices, 12-46 for the recorded Musters and their logistical difficulties.

        Radaidavu, Lord of War - "Stars of Victory"; "I am often asked who's council I heeded most on my march to war. I always surprise my generals for I say "Lokarnos & Pole Star". When faced with puzzled frowns, I tell them; "The wagons feed my men and the Pole Star sees to their organisation. Without that I would have no army, just a mob of barbarians!" (Chapter 12 - Anecdotes of an Emperor). See also Radaidavu's discourse on defending supply lines in the face of superior enemy mobility during the Ralios campaigns.

        For deeper reading refer to "The Books of Disaffection" covering the full rules of Anirestyu the Stupid, Elmesiod the Poor and Desikselm for examples of logistical failure.

        The modern Imperial scholars tend to forget that the Conquering Daughter' only gained the wisdom for her campaigns after long study in Alkoth! Still, her use of River magics was creative and can be commended though it achieved little in the long run except adding even more barbarians to the Empire. At least we can fight over them still and bring lives for Shargash!

        Kanveranus was son of the House Carmanian Sorcerer. It was the current trend that all houses have a sorcerer or two, particularly given the Raibanthi and Glamour practice of Dart Competition that we in Alkoth consider to be an unjust and impure form of our holy rites as formed by Urvairinus (it is particularly offensive to our House which is descended from the noble Emperor). Kanveranus fulfilled a useful role for he tested Khorvenus's food for poison with his odd magics, though it has to be said that he tasted far more food than he needed.

        We chatted about our day for some time till we saw our elder brother; Manlivarius enter our section from the Buserian & Dayzatar area. Manlivarius was tall, though not as tall as I, but cadaverously thin and lacking in sound Shargashi muscle. When I was younger I had poked fun at him for his endless excuses and attempts to avoid all physical exercise and weapons practice. Instead he'd sneak away and study the stars and planets. A born Buserian if ever there was one.

        He nodded to Khorvenus and I and looked down his nose at our cousins, particularly Hyamestes, whom he counted as ignorant and barbaric. Kanveranus was simply strange and this was reason enough to feel uncomfortable around him. "Do you intend to bathe yourselves in this iniquitous manner all afternoon?" He asked.

"Come, join us brother." Said Khorvenus expansively.
"I shall not join you as Vrantharus could bathe for a thousand years and
still fail to remove the taint of his impurity!" Said Manlivarius scornfully.

"What are you talking about cousin?" Asked Hyamestes with his barely
legible barbaric accent.

"You were not there when Vrantharus despoiled himself with that
licentious Biselensib priestess when they left for the bushes in the midst of the ceremony!" Manlivarius was clearly scandalised though the event he referred to was several days old.

        We had gone to give our seasonal House gift to Biselensib for the bounty of the marsh and I had been filled with the spirit of Shargash during the ceremony. So was the Biselensib priestess and we had departed the others to perform the mythic union of our respective god and goddess. Of course, such behaviour was unacceptably base and impure for a Buserian.

        Keen, spoke up with a query, as was his right as our favoured servant. "Has Lord Vrantharus gained a spot of Lodrili Willy?" He asked innocently, assuming the problem was medical rather than philosophical.

        Alas the Lodrili speak in far baser terms than dear brother Manlivarius could handle and he recoiled in shock, a look of utter scandle etched all over his face. "This servant must be flogged for he utters rampant impurity in a house sacred to Yelm and Dayzatar!" Screeched Manlivarius, pointing at Keen with a prodding long finger.

        Keen nodded placidly. "And how would you like me to be flogged lord? I can arrange an extended flogging or perhaps one with a multi-lashed whip?"

        I attempted to mediate. "Now leave Keen alone Manlivarius, your dispute is with me, not our servant, he merely speaks as is his wont."

        Before Manlivarius could complain further, our attention was gained by a young Lodrili who approached our bath nervously. "Lord Vrantharus?" He asked, looking at us all.

        I acknowledged him and recognised him as a servant from the "Giant Pot", a fine eating establishment and place of refreshment and other entertainments.....none of which Manlivarius would approve of. I asked what troubled him.

"Lord, our Inn is troubled by a disease that has killed one of our staff
and stricken several others. Our lady Tikara fears to approach the Yelm temple but knows you to be kind of heart and fond of her services." Indeed I was. She was an Ulerian and had entertained me personally on several occasions.

        Before I could speak, Manlivarius frowned at the fellow and said; "If this fellow is from that dreadful eating establishment where those ill-clad hussies trapsied their ankles and forearms for all to see, then I say we do go to this place as they ask. We will go and burn it down for it is impure and only the fires of Yelm can scour such filth from the sight of Dayzatar!" For a Buserian, Manlivarius was unusually fond of demanding burnings and executions for the least offence to his sensibilities.

        Khorvenus showed the commanding wisdom that would raise him some day to be House Imperator. "Thats precisely why the fellow came to Vrantharus and not the Yelm temple. Show some restraint brother for all have their place in Yelms domain."

"Yes, take us to your mistress and we will see what ails her." I rose
and let Keen dress me, the others did likewise and Keen summoned more servants to aid the others. I noticed that Keen cast many glances at my manhood as he dressed me - he was checking me surreptitiously for a dose of "Lodrili Willy". Keen was very attentive to our needs as usual.

        We moved through the city streets to the Lodrili part of the city below the Green Hill. Manlivarius had to be led by a servant for he cast his eyes skyward to avoid looking at the impurity around him. Keen cleared the poor and mercantile from our path while I watched all around for a possible attack on Khorvenus.

Reference:

        Eusibus - "The Way of Shargash"; "Beware the places and people you most trust for here is where the Sons of Evil will strike." (Chapter 15, Dialogue on the False & Unjust).

        Our sister, Yulpana was not with us that day which was a relief for the day was hot and her palanquin slowed foot progress down considerably. As it was, we had to stop several times to allow Keen to mop the sweat from our brows when it collected and became an affront to our dignity.

        We arrived at the Giant Pot inn and entered with the servant. Tikara, the inn owner, met us and bowed many times to indicate her pleasure at our company. "Oh noble lords, bless Yelm for the light which shines from your kindness and Justice!" She was very pleased to see us indeed. I tried to calm the woman and kept my body between her and Manlivarius who would be instantly scandalized by her short sleeved dress, that fell only halfway above her shins.

        She told us that one of her staff members had died of a sudden disease and others were already sick. She thought it might be related to the strange event of last week when we found a servant slain by odd bite marks in the cellar and a oddly circular tunnel, too small for any of us to go down, leading out of the buildings cellar to who knows where. We had tried to help her then and were the first in her minds because of that.

        Besides, I was a regular and knew many of the fertility dances of Alkor very well indeed.......

        After we quieted Manlivarius, he had again insisted that the place be burnt down, though he'd want me to do the burning of course - anything else would sully his purity.

        This occurrence was perplexing, yet familiar to us for while I had been training out of the city, Khorvenus's mother (mother also to Yulpana and Manlivarius) had taken ill due to the attacks of evil spirits (probably sent by the evil Darjiians) and the aid of Erissa healers had to be sought before she was cured. The disease appeared to be the same in both cases. The only linking factor we could think of was a group of Krjalki calling themselves Kralorelan merchants who'd been in the Giant Pot recently. They had also supplied cloth to our House. The coincidence was too great, they must have been Raibanthi spies! We decided to go to the Erissa priestess who had cured Shapira to find out more of these evil disease spirits.

        We gave the typical donation to their temple and soon saw the priestess. She told us that the disease spirits that she'd exorcised from Shapiria were incarnated by an ancient enemy deity call Gugar but she could tell us no more. I suggested that we head to the Great Library for there all wisdom was gathered under the Sky Dome under the truthful eye of Dayzatar.

Reference

        Erraibdavu the Conqueror - "The Path of Conquest"; "When the truth of your foe is known, then the Justice of your attack will be apparent in the Golden light of your victory." (Chapter 3 - Know your enemies).

        We made the journey to the library without incident though Manlivarius complained that he was being taxed sorely by all the physical effort. The library of Alkoth is the oldest in Dara Happa for Alkoth has never known the sack of an invading army. Because of this, the Lunar Heartland Corps, Imperial Bodyguard, Provincial Army, Sisters Army and all the Satrapies private forces send their officers here for training and learning. It is a great source of revenue for the city but it forces me to endure the stupidities and impure behaviour of the low-born. Many Shargashi also resent the power and prestige those fools in Yanafal Tarnils wield in the imperial army for Shargash has always been and always will be the War God of Dara Happa.

        We descended deep into the depths of the library and the numbers of spirits down there meant that an eerie glow lit the darkened rooms as demons swirled and dark things twitched at our progress. I had been here many times and Shargash watched his own in these halls but I knew that outlanders had often died of fright in the dust and silence of the deep vaults.

        The Buserian librarian was know to Manlivarius and this aided our search for knowledge of this god called Gugar. We eventually found reference to this deity on scrolls made several thousand years before, though the information was in a deep vault and difficult to read for the language was ancient indeed.

        In the end, It helped us little for though we found out that Gugar was an ancient river Turtle deity, enemy of all Henjarli and spreader of terrible diseases, he had not been worshiped for many centuries and we could find no further clues.

        With nothing else to go on we resolved to track down the evil Krjalki merchants from that place they called Kralorela and find out why they were spreading disease and for whom.

        Our task was made simple for we controlled the Great Market and soon found one of our House guards who had been on duty when the Kralorelans had packed up and left the previous day. He took us to the market stand where the Krjalki had sold their wares. Brother Manlivarius and cousin Kanveranus both detected an sickly spirit of disease, identical in form to the one that had nearly killed Shapira in old pieces of thread that had plainly been used by the Kralorelans. Khorvenus, Manlivarius, Hyamastes, Kanveranus and I resolvedat that moment to defeat this great plot before the contamination killed many more of our citizens. We had to find these Krjalki!

        The guard told us that the Krjalki were last seen heading out of the city to the river docks, apparently planning on hiring a boat that would take them upriver to Raibanth.

        Raibanth! The subtle connections were becoming clearer and clearer. Alas we had little proof, only supposition and the Truth of Yelm would help little in that case so we kept what little information we had to ourselves.

        As we headed out of the city, Khorvenus again showed his great wisdom and suggested that we go and see cousin Daronelus on the river front. Our cousin was a Shargashi and Oslir worshipper who commanded one of our Houses river craft on regular runs along the Oslir. He was knowledgeable about the river folk and was a good man to have beside you in a dangerous situation. He wielded a mace almost as well as I though he lacked my great strength and height (he was not as close in blood as I to the direct line of Urvairinus and had less of Shargash in him as a result).

        We found Daronelus checking his boat. After a brisk description of the days events and the threat to the city, he agreed to come along with us. "Little enough happening around here." He muttered as he grabbed his mace and headed down the gangplank from his ship to accompany us into the Jaran district on the river front.

More to follow.....

Martin Laurie

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #288