laws

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 12:34:00 -0800

COINS Bill.McKinley:

>This adds a useful MGF item to the game, as PCs check their coins to find
out what's going on in far away places. And Lunar haters would be likely to
reject coins that reflect (for example) the crushing of Starbrow's rebellion.

Good stuff!

BTW- is there a common coinage? Or do sultanates and provinces mint their own? Perhaps they can mint copper coins, but not gold ones? Or maybe the Impire controls all the mints, but has them in several sultanates?

LAWS David C: > the Dara Happans probably have a different legal system for full citizens than for anyone else.

You mean there was ever a doubt?

>The Yelm initiates get certain legal priveleges, quite possibly they are not
able to be condemned to punishment by someone who does not outrank them.

I agree.

>The laws of Hamurabi

"Antirius Precepts" in Dara Happa...

> I imagine for the Dara Happans, precedent is enormously important.

Perhaps - we play this it certainly is for the Orlanthi. (Which is why they need lawspeakers to remember all the precedents.) I'm not sure the DH's rely as much on precedent. I think they take social standing and written law more heavily into account.

>Real Yelmic bigwigs may have some right of appeal to the Senate?

 I have the impression that solar society is very hierarchical, and that the senate is really more of an advisory body. I think Yelmic bigwigs can only be tried by bigger Yelmic bigwigs - and ultimately, by the Emperor.

 I'm not sure "right of appeal" has a DH translation. (Did ANYBODY mythic ever make an appeal past Yelm?) If you're a Yelmic magistrate, having the people in your court decide to make an appeal past your judgement shows a lack of authority and control on your part. IMO, it ain't gonna happen. Instead, people will try to wrangle as high (or as advantageous) a court as possible to have their case heard.

> I have also run a couple of little vignettes where a PC VIP presides at a
[AN ORLANTHI] trial and faces difficult choices (like blatant attempts at bribery and using family connections).

Of course these are blatant! Making them secret would be dishonorable! There's nothing wrong with distributing a few gifts to show your generosity and dedication to the clan, or in calling on your kin for help. That's what kin are for!

Pam