Becoming shorter and illumination

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 15:26:32 +1200

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>

> All this discussion of joining one of the elder races has started me
>thinking on what it would take to become a Dwarf or Clay Mostali.

I don't think this is possible as _yet_. In Slon, the Eleventh humans are trying to be accepted as Mostali but the Dwarves don't encourage them. I certainly don't think humans can become Clay Dwarves although they may follow one of the paths in an attempt to achive Diamondhood. However following such a path does not confer them immortality unlike the clay mostali, the Alchemists' 'worship' of Quicksilver is the best example. So the odds of surviving 700 years are slim methinks. The lack of such payback from following a dwarvern cult is the main reason why the mostali refer to human followers as slave worshippers.

Danny Bourne:

NB>> propagandistic ("The Dying Sartarite)
>>and/or *illuminating* ("War is Peace" -- bing!) artwork and slogans.

>I didn't think illuminating worked this way, or am I misinterpreting the
>use of the *'s?

Illumination can be gained through exposure to non-verbal media, the Puzzle Canal in Pavis is the most obvious example.