Taxes

From: Nigel Smith <ns10005_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 15:54:57 +0000

Hello all,

         Since the question of Lunar taxes has again been raised, the snippet I heard on the TV last night may be of some interest:

From BBC 2's programme "Jesus the Rebel"

        40-60% of all Nazerene agricultural and fishing production went as tax to the Romans.

(Anyone else who heard this may be able to flesh it out more - I just
happened to walk in the room as this was mentioned)

Since there are similarities between the Roman occupation of Judea and the Lunar occupation of Sartar (armed Imperial occupation and frequent armed insurrection, frex) this may be a good starting point.

But Orlanthi farmers can probably achieve better yields than their Nazerene counterparts, so a kilo-to-kilo comparison may bring taxes down to 30-50%
(and then the temple takes another 10% as tithes...)

Comments from those who know far more about this subject than I do
(everyone here, probably!) will be gratefully received.

        Nigel