Earth topics

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 13:01:00 -0800

>Healers need not be nice, gentle people - - acting on
the principle that it may hurt now, but it will do you good in the end. A vindictive Healer can be quite nasty in her own way.

That was pretty much the description of the CA healer in the Risklands/Dorastor book.

There could also be the enthusiastic, energetic, excercise-and high fiber-fanatic type healer, a little guy with curly hair... "C'mon! Get up! Start walking! WISH those wounds away!"

 Thomas Doniol-Valcroze:

Welcome Thomas! No need to apologize for your English. I doubt many of us can write French half as well.

We Seattle RQ'ers have, for the past year, been playing around with the small spells and rituals used in daily life on the farm in Dragon Pass. You can read about them on David Dunham's Gloranthan website, under the "Taming of Dragon Pass" campaign.

> But rules are full of spells that PC's (almost) never use, whose purpose is
to give credilbilty to a
magic-full world (like many Bless spells, Peaceful Cut, and so on...).

So, as a game master, you could have bad things happen because they did _not_ use those spells. Have them haunted by deer spirits if they don't use Peaceful Cut. Or have them get a bad stomach ache from "unsettled meat".

Keep in mind that Glorantha is not the real world with magic; it is a magic world. Things happen not because of physics, but because of magic. Therefore, you might not find any animals to hunt unless you preform your ritual to honor the Lady of the Wild. If they don't cast "Bless Crops", the PC's farm will have bad harvest, but their neighbors may have a good one.

(If your PC's do not have a farm, this will not be important.) But they may have to do a little sword-cleaning ritual if they are Humakti, or sacrifice part of the carcass of an animal to Orlanth or Odayla if they want their spears or arrows to strike true next time. You can remind them of this by telling them that they must have missed that attack because they have been neglecting the gods.

>Contraception spell. I see it as a quite common spirit magic spell, taught
by the local shaman or priest.

IMO, this is the domain of the Earth cults, available through Ernalda or one of her associates.

I thought about this topic a lot, and decided against an easy contraception spell in my Glorantha because it removes too much MGF. Imagine designing complex social plots without bastards, large families, secret pregnancies, jealous husbands, etc. But Glorantha does have all the earthly methods of contraception, including many plants that have contraceptive or abortative properties.

There are also several rituals that alter the fertility of people, animals, and plants. Frex:
1) We play that the ritual of cutting the first sheaf of the harvest will render the woman infertile for the following year. (Thus, it is generally done by an older woman, or a young woman who doesn't want another baby for a while.) There may be other rituals which do the same for men.
2) A curse ritual can make a man or a woman infertile, temporarily or permantly.
3) Joining a death cult may also reduce fertility. This had been debated on the Daily before, but in my Glorantha, Humakti rune lords are infertile, and initiates are barely so.
4) Conversely, people who have strong ties to fertility cults are much more prolific than average. (Fertility cults are mostly earth cults and a few sky cults, and maybe Bartnar.)

>My second question is: Would you make it an Uleria spell?

Ernalda, I think. We recently made the Ulerian spell "Reproduce", (which enhances fertility), available through Ernalda. We play Uleria as a more distant, overreaching goddess, usually accessed through Ernalda or Oria. She is largely a deity of harmony & life, the connection between humans and the harmony of life.

Uleria is worshipped by the Orlanthi in Ralios on a holiday which adores children. For a whole day, the kids get whatever they want, and the adults spend the whole day entertaining them.

In Alkoth, an Uleria initiate runs a tavern (aptly named "The Giant Pot"). It is a favorite hangout of the PC's, as the atmosphere is always pleasant and welcoming, the food is excellent, the music is first rate, and the staff seem like long time best friends. There may well be a "Peace" spell on the building, akin to the Pavic "City Harmony" spell.  There is no sex for sale, however. A union may occasionally occur, but only if the initiates feel particularly moved by Uleria.

I believe that in Far Point, (if I remember right), Ulerians have the important political job of making foreigners and diplomats feel welcome and at home.

These examples are all from player's own versions of Glorantha. Some are an attempt to salvage some of the status of the priestess/prostitute roles from ancient Sumer. I am certian that common prostitution-for-profit exists in Glorantha, but I think Uleria has little to do with it. Krarsht, more like.

All IMO -

Pam