Oakfed Spirit Magic

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 16:55:08 +0100

Having sorted out the formatting of Stephen Martin's Oakfed write-up I must say I enjoyed it. Humbly presented here are small tweaks to add a little flavour to the write-up.

I'm thinking about what the Oakfed intitiation ceremony might look like but in the mean time...

Oakfed initiates get taught the Spirit Magic spell of Disrupt for free on joining. IMO Oakfed's version is known as Burning Brand and always causes a visible damage to the target from severe reddening, through blistering, to charring of the skin (yuk!) depending on the damage done. I would have critical resistance rolls cause body hair to char or even ignite - no further damage but quite a distraction!

Sorry if this is a bit rulesy but I for one would like to see more of people's ideas for giving minor magics more flavour. Spirit Magic probably benefits most from this, however...

In my recent Telmori game I gave the players skills in Wolfs Head Dance. At a certain rock outcrop they could sacrifice for the Wolfshead divine magic but only after dancing themselves into exhaustion (-1 CON point per half hour, make the skill roll when you reach zero) - so much more atmospheric than just sacrificing one point of POW "between adventures".

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte.co.uk