Camels in Pent

From: Thomas Doniol-Valcroze <tconrad_at_orbital.fr>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 12:38:17 +0100

Hi, folks!

Jane Williams asked:
>So where on Glorantha would I find a camel?

What about Pent?
After all, Pent does remind me of the great plains of Mongolia. Same kind of landscape, same harsh weather, and same kind of people: clans and tribes of fierce nomads, horsemen without equal and daunting warriors.
I can easily picture the great khan Dranz Goloi, or Sheng Seleris, as some Gloranthan Genghis Khan, leading their men against the lunar foes.

Well, the good news is that you can find camels in Mongolia. That's why it seems to me that they would fit perfectly in Pent. Of course, they would not be used by the horse-riding horse-eating tribes but by the modern tribes tending herds of sheeps and goats. Camels would be perfect for such a hard life: they provide milk, food and leather, can be mounted, and they are perfect for carrying heavy stuff (like tents) from one camp to another.

I can also imagine free wandering camels crossing the snow line southwards towards the Waste when it gets too cold up in Pent, so I wouldn't be surprised to meet some in the desert, staying close to the Rockwood mountains.

Great stuff can be found about the Mongolian tribes and their camels in the May 1993 and December 1996 National Geographic issues.

Yours, Thomas.