Cages and gloranthan civilization

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 01:07:45 +1200

Stephen Martin:

[Olaront Dragonfriend]

Me>>No. Stephen has said that he might be Forang Farosh. However he
>>nevers leaves Tink so I find this implausible.

>Who is to say that he doesn't leave Tink during the Hero Wars? And, this
>statement itself contradicts known facts, as he was seen in a cave in
>Snakepipe Hollow one Sacred Time by Betti Leika Ballista and her friends.

Whoops, I completely forgot about that reference...

>Wait, I just realized what Peter is getting at. Are you saying that the
>cage from Snake-Pipe hollow is the cage that Forang Farosh was trapped
>in? Are you trying to say that Forang was the mouse?

No, I wasn't. But I sure am sold on the idea now!

Bo Rosen:

>Something I've wanted to play for several years is a Civilization -
>Master of Magic etc type of game with Glorantha as a setting.
>Players could take the part of various Immortals (Orlanth, Yelm, some
>Moon Godess or other etc) as they strive for dominance and survival in
>Glorantha. They would have the power to indirectly influence history
>as it unfolds from the first turn, which begins as Yelm ascends the
>sky again for the first time.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think it would work well starting from year zero. Far too many philosophical and practical problems spring to mind (Can other immortals defy the Invisible God? How does Orlanthi Central government work?). It would be far better with a more limited scope so the HeroQuests are more gloranthan. Apart from the obvious Dragon Pass and Master of Luck and Death examples there would be:

Glorious ReAscent: Control the Ten Princes in their epic quest to establish the Empire of Yelm. Steal the Grand Order from the Hills of Gold and watch them Vanchites bow! Conquer perfidious Rinliddi! Visit the Planets!

The Chaos Wars: 75 years of Total War! Betray your friends! Scorched Earth! Senseless Slaughter! Control Both Sides!

Age of Empires: Be a God Learner! Plunder ancient secrets and fit them in your Monomyth! Spread the Truth of the Invisible God all over the lozenge! Give Zzabur the Finger! Be a Youfling! Conquer foreign lands and fit them within the Grand Dragon! Eat People! Squeal like a pig when the shit hits the fan!

Magnificus the Terrible: Start off as a quisling for His Dread Majesty Sheng Seleris! Embezzle funds! Frame Rivals! Raise secret armies! Dart Competitions!

War and Love: Defend the Glorious Free Kingdom of Loskalm against the Evil Running Pig-dogs of the Kingdom of War. Mobilize armies! Lose them! Hire mercenaries! Quest for the Three Weapons of Talor! Waste time in Zoria!

Thousand Islands of Wonder: Seek to unify the East Isles! Fight the Vorumai! Send ambassadors to the Valkarians! Visit sunken Tamanjary!

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #39