Re: Heroism from a Farmer's POV

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 12:26:31 +0000

"It is said that Theya Two-Mothers, Godia of the Varmandi spake in favor of surrendering Orlanth's realm in the Middle Air to the Red Moon:

> "I would remind these brave warriors that, although they may be in a
> great hurry to feast in Orlanth's Hall, the rest of us may not be so
> eager. Orlanth Lightbringer gifted us the Clan, the Clan Ring and the
> Clan Moot. Decisions which involve the life and death of the Clan
> should be made by the Clan. If decisions of such import are left to
> foolish boys who confuse their swords with their cocks, then we Folk of
> Heort are doomed.

"I am a Wind Lord of Orlanth, of a tribe and clan I dare not name, a rank I attained after years of pious service to my family, clan, and tribe. I am no boy to be trifled with. Nor are my companions, strong, brave, and true people every one, and every one with a price on their head of many ounces of silver, offered by the Lunars. Those who brought us into their inner temple are Wind Voices, who speak for Orlanth and their clans. They knew of the risk they took if the Lunars discovered they hosted us. Now I know not of the ways of the heortlings, nor if they venerate Orlanth the Storm King, but in occupied Sartar the Orlanthi clans obey the word of the Wind Voices and Wind Lords, and if they do not in this time of war then they will fall, because of the truths of war, and by the will of Orlanth.

> "I am not afraid to abandon the safety of our steads for the rigors of
> the hills. Every year, I make sure our safeholds in the wilds are
> stocked with blankets and food. But to take my family into the barren
> hills, to listen to the babies whimper from the cold, and to burn my
> husband, that it is a decision _I_ will make.

"So spake my own mother before my father was broken on Ikadz's rack and I realized the unstoppable truths of war. Now I speak differently. I would urge you to be lucky enough that you never find yourself in the position where traitors and foreigners have made your decisions for you.

"We are at war. War, and the acts of traitors, sometimes force us to make painful decisions. I am sorry for those who must give up their homes, and for those who die defending their homes from the enemy, but our path has been forced on us by our blood-enemies."

Thus spake Bashanar, Free Wind Lord of the hilltop people

Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu> A priest, a rabbi, a Penn student, and an elephant walk into a bar. The bartender says, "what is this, some kind of joke?"