Lighfore in the Sky with diamonds

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 13:48:05 +1200

Nigel Smith:

>Since I'm getting more than usually lost in this thread, can someone clear
>something up for me? Is Lightfore, son of Polestar, most favoured
>worshipper of Dayzatar (Wyrm's Footnotes/prints & GRoY) the same as
>Arraz/Lightfore, one of the Two created by Dayzatar (tFS) and the same as
>Lightfore the planet (GRoY)? Especially since the planet Lightfore is
>always named by title and "its secret name remains a secret (if it was ever
>known or agreed upon!)" (GRoY).

The Short Answer to your question is Yes.

The only thing that might be questionable is Arraz as I've always understood him to be the Star that is Dayzatar's Eye. I suspect Ordanestyu's list is somehwat dodgy as a major stellar god is is omitted from the list which is suprising to the least.

The Long Answer? The names of the planets and the relationships between the planets each other are imperfectly understood. When a Starseer says that Lightfore is the son of Polestar, he is using a constructed (by humans) set of references to understand the heavens - Lightfore to him was that planet that issued forth from Polestar. Therefore it is the son of Polestar. Another Starseer will believe that Lightfore had an existance in Heaven before it came forth from the Polestar. Since It was in Heaven, it must have been created by Dayzatar. Both sets of references are valid (like the name of the Sun is both Yelm and Idovanus - but the Sun by any other name is still a Sun). The error is assuming that because it works for him, it is _true_ (in the same way a pre-kepler astronmer could predict with some work the movement of the planets via epicycles - that does not make his theory true).

>And Kargzant was defeated by Lightfore, followed by Antirius's rising
>(GRoY), while the DHs recognise Lightfore the planet to be Antirius.

This is a seperate issue. When One God defeats another and occupies the same position as the Old God, it may be a result of a cult upsurping another cult upon earth. Thus, Lightfore defeats Kargzant *may* be shorthand for: The Horse Riders worshipped Planet X as their god Kargzant and ruled us in slavery. But when Avivath slew Emperor Huradabba with the Sun Spear, we worshipped Planet X rightfully as the god Lightfore.

Obnitpick: The GRAY doesn't say that Lightfore defeated Kargzant but that Antirius defeated Kargzant. Since the Horse Riders believed at the time Kargzant was the Sun and Antirius was for a time afterwards reckoned as the New Sun, the confusion is predictable. But since Yelm rose (ie the Sun became recognized as him), Antirius was demoted to being the God of the Planet X (ie Lightfore). Combine this with the fact that before the Sun rose, the Horse Riders worshipped Planet X as Kargzant and we have a recipe for chronic confusion (even I'm not sure on some details!).

>So either Lightfore wasn't Antirius, then was, while also being the son of
>Polestar *and* created by Dayzatar *and* being that part of Yelm left after
>the murder, or Lightfore is one or more individuals where Lightfore is a
>title (like Argrath). Or some of the sources are wrong...

This is yet another issue. The Dara Happans are heir to all this religious lore and they are trying to make some sense out of it. Part of the problem is that some myths are but metaphor. To write down that the Emperor dropped his shield at the Battle of the Sun Storm and ran away could be very dangerous to one's health. But write in an astronomy manual that that year Oralanantus strode towards Yelm with the Sword Death. Shargash intervened but was overcome and cast down and Yelm was by his Divine Justice forced aside by the base Nature of the God of Murderers. Let some Scholar finds this manual several centuries later and the odds are that he will think that the Skies really did behave as was written down in the manual...

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #89