Argrath, Truestone

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 16:19:06 EST

Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk> Argrathian continuity

>A thought that occurred to me: At the peace negotiations after
>Starbrow's Rebellion, Fazzur Wideread shows the Sartarite leaders the
>Hell where Sheng Seleris is imprisoned.
>
>Some years later, Argrath goes to that Hell and rescues Sheng Seleris.
>Now, obviously some of the description of the vision that Fazzur got to
>Argrath and he used it in his quest. But could he have been there
himself, as part
>of the Sartarite delegation? What do people think? Especially those
>more learned in the continuity than me? Jane Williams, you there?

Jane, Joerg, and I have been discussing Argrath with an average of 2-3 messages each per day, for weeks now. The Fazzur incident is something that has not yet come up, surprisingly enough. Since Argrath and Kallyr definitely do have quite a bit of contact before her final death, there is no need for Argrath to be at this defeat. Most of the possible timelines, even accepting 3 or 4 different "Argraths", seem to put "Argrath" somewhere other than Sartar during this time.

So, I think he probably got his info here from Kallyr, or from someone else who was present.

>And another thing. Does anyone have any clear or ingenious ideas about
>what's going on when Argrath convinces the Colymar that he is from a
>part of their tribe they have lost track of? Is this a magnificent
>con-job or something truly mystical?

The three of us seem to be in disagreement over this point. As for it being a con job, I doubt that -- I believe Argrath's geneology from the Karandoli Clan. The problem is, the clan is long gone. I think that Argrath used this incident to take those of his followers who were clanless, make them into a clan, and make this new Karandoli Clan part of the Colymar Tribe. Jane seems to think that many of the Karandoli Clan were among those Sartarites who founded Badside around 1490. Joerg at one point believed that Argrath in fact brought the Clan back from the Other Side, though I don't know if he still believes it.

Joerg and I will be hosting a seminar on Argrath and King of Sartar at GCon V in British Columbia this July, so anyone with any pet theories on these or other topics should make a point to be there!

Hasni Mubarak <richo_at_epix.net>
Truestone

>The real question is this: Does the Runelord LOSE his spells when he
>casts them into the truestone?

It depends on whether or not the spells are reusable for him. If he is an Orlanthi Wind Lord, and casts the spells which are reusable, he can regain them. However, if he casts a traded Truesword spell or the Cloud Call he learned from his Storm Voice, these one-use spells are lost to him forever, since he has no way to "renew" them. Short of spending more POW or trading another spell, of course.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com