Elemental Senses

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 21:26:59 EST

Sonar and things Sense-ible

According to a number of RQ2 sources, plus Gods of Glorantha, the five senses were broken down (probably by the God Learners) in the following way:

Darkness		Sounds
Water		Tastes
Earth		Touch
Fire/Sky		Sight
Air		Smell

Note that Identify Scent is an associate spell of Orlanth. Though I admit that Lewis Jardine's reference to Wind Words does show that air _can_ carry sound in Glorantha. However, he also brings up a good point -- is Sonar/Darksense the same thing as sound? Normally, I would say so. However, I could accept a definition that sound was carried on air but something as ephemeral as sonar (ephemeral to a human, anyways, since he can't hear it) might not be.

For that matter, do humans really _know_ that trolls use sonar? Some of the Lhankor Mhy types who for their short lives study trolls, might have figured this out, but to the normal human trolls have _Dark_ sense -- they can "see" in the dark, and "sense" things when humans can't.

Nick Brooke
The Devil's Soupbowl

This is one of the best Praxian myths I have seen to date -- it is one of the few ones which "felt" Praxian to me. And I like the irony of the _Lunars_ driving chaos out of Moonbroth, only a Sable Rider (or a Lunar) could say something like that and really mean it! I also like the incorporation of the old idea that all the elements aided Storm Buck/Bull against the Devil, though with a twist.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com