Strange Metal, Saggitus and Hastatus

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 22:06:57 EST

<richardc_at_sypte.co.uk>
Metal Armour

>"The Third Eye Blue people who came to our land from
>Peloria in the time of King Oslap know many secrets of
>the working of metal. Among the enchantments is one
>to change the colour of bronze before it is worked into
>weapon or armour. To do this they need to bathe the
>red-hot metal in a certain fluid.

A very long time ago, in an APAzine far, far away, Dave Dunham printed a Cult of Voinauken, the God of Metal. The cult was one of smiths, of course (though there were other aspects). One of the cult spells, or maybe it was Divine Intervention, allowed the smith to create something unique. He could change the color of the metal, or forge a shirt of linked rings without having to bend all the rings into place or sew them onto leather. Or you could make the metal transparent, or have a nice smell, I suppose.

"Carlson, Pam" <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Yelm & Law

>In fact, GRoy doesn't even list Saggitus and Hastatus as Yelm's
>sons, does it? (I must admit, It's been a while since I last read
GRoY).

Well, sort of. Hastatus is another name for Avivath the Avatar, who is an incarnation of Antirius, who is a Part of Yelm, which is sort of like a son. Sagittus is another name for Urengerum, the god of the city of Elempur, who is saved from death at the hands of the Ram People by one of the emperors, Urvairinus I assume. As Urengerum is the Protector of the city, he is a son of Yelm, or a stand-in for him.

A couple of points on Urengerum. I note that his symbol (I guess I'll have to look it up now, GRoY (Ivory) pg 27) is the same as Lokarnos'. Since Lokarnos is said somewhere to be Yelm's son, it is safe to assume Urengerum is too. Though I do wonder why to such dissimilar deities (one a Wagon god, a clever inventor; the other now an Archer) share this symbol.

I always thought it would have been more appropriate for the god of Elempur to have defected, and joined the invading Ram People. Elem-pur, Elem-alus -- it seems a perfect way to explain why a Sun God is a thane of Orlanth. Maybe this version of the story is known to the people in Saird.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com