Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #156

From: DARKRIST_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 01:26:42 -0500 (EST)

Martin Laurie completely summed up my feelings about the current state of Gloranthan affairs. I began playing RQ in the early 80's. I loved all of the Chaosium material. I thought AH killed Glorantha after they took it over so I lost interest in Glorantha(especially after suffering through the GURPing of the rules, finding stats for Orcs in the creatures book, and dreadfull supplements like "Monster Coloseum"). Then, years later I buy a copy of Strangers in Prax. I remember thinking at the time-"Well lets see how stupid this is". Imagine my surprise to find 3 wonderfully written, fully playable scenarios. Inside I find refferance to Tales of the Reaching Moon; to which I soon subscribe. I had no idea the fan base was still there.  I start a new G campaign and soon I have a full blown Gloranthan revival on my hands. I then rush out and buy River of Cradles. Mostly old material reprinted but still contains a playable scen. I then decide to buy all the AH Gloranthan supplements. Imagine my utter surprise and horror upon seeing the art work in Elder Secrets. It was then that I realized that I had already purchased all the "playable","new" Gloranthan material from AH. Not to worry I thought, they will make more. Only to find out that, no they won't make more. Now I hear about a whole new rule system. Don't get me wrong I know that it will be good because it is coming from Chaosium, but it is this kind of upheaval that causes gamers to lose interest in a game. I think the key to Gloranthan survival is not another major change, but "new, playable" material that actually gets produced more often than once a decade.  This is the only way to attract new players to the world of Glorantha IMHO