Bronze Age Glorantha, and Are the Dara Happans Indians?

From: s.lucek_at_ic.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 97 14:38:45 +0000

Re: Bronze age Glorantha.
I think the best aspects of Glorantha are the ones where the culture is not lifted directly from real world history, but simply used for inspiration, to get a real feel for a culture in Glorantha. History is a good place to learn how cultures work, but I HATE it when someone just lifts a real world culture completely and dumps it somewhere where is doesn't belong. I grates. I read it and think NO! There are very different pressures on culture X, you cannot use them to represent people Y. I think Greg Stafford's approach of 'people creation' where he seems to pinch bits from just about everywhere and then ties it all up into a coherent whole is the best and most imaginative way of doing it. So I shall not enter the debate for which particular culture represents which group from Glorantha. Except ...

Has any one noticed the similarity of the names of the cities of bronze age India (the Harappa-something-or-other culture) and the Dara-Happans? For example, the primary city of the Indus valley was Harappa, and there is Judeijo-Daro, Moheijo-Daro etc.. The only thing I know of them is that they built cities with large citadels (a la Mycenae). Does anyone know anything about them? Is it all just a coincidence?

Stephen Lucek.