brief DH esoterica

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 11:06:00 -0800

David Cake:

>After all, what god do the majority of city residents of Raibanth
worship?

It depends on what the residents do.

Dockworkers, boatmen, fishermen: Oslira Crafters: Lodril, Mohenjar
Laborers, bricklayers: Mohenjar (son of Lodril & Oslira) Traders, Merchants: Lokarnos, Etyries
Administrators: city god

I also see Lodril as worshipped in the city too, as he is the main men's deity. Lokarnos doesn't tell you when you are an adult, how to get married, how to properly interact with your friends and family, or how to view growing old. Lodril does. IMO, Lodri & Oria (or their local variants) are the main cultural deities throughout Peloria. In urban areas, Lodril is still worshipped for his lifepath, but his agricultural element is overshadowed by a "professional" sort of deity, like Mohenjar. Perhaps Mohenjar has taken on the lifepath aspects of Lodril, but I doubt Lokarnos or Oslira have.

I think Thilla, Biselenslib and Surenslib are more rural deities. They are worshipped by the folk who like along the rivers outside the cities, though they may be responsible for feeding the urban populations. IMO the Oslira cult is largely urban - it controls and uses the river, rather then accepting it, as the nurturing cults do.

>there is a long Pelandan tradition of animated statues of the gods.

Hey - thanks for pointing that out! I didn't see it clearly before, although I have used it in a Biselenslib ritual. Great - animated statues in lots of places - MGF!

Pam