myriad topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 13:33:30 +1300

Andrew Joelson:

> Hwarrin Dalthippa 'the Conquering Daughter' created the Duaghter's
>Road, from Jillaro to Mirin's Cross. But I can't remember if there was
>another road leading northwest (instead of southwest), or if the one road
>was simply built in two stages. (I do seem to remember two 'building'
>stages.)

Both. There's a higher level of the daughter's road that is only used for HeroQuests *and* she made a second road to go to Imther which isn't marked on the map.

Arf:

>Perhaps there's a comparison in DP? "Never trust them bastards from
>across the Oslir, son. They'd sell yer gran fer a basket o' firewood."

Undoubtedly. I view all the Pelorian farmers as having the same basic language whereas Dara Happan and New Pelorian are merely the dialects spoken by the wealthy and educated.

Richard Crawley:

>P.S. Danny Bourne wants a ban on New Zealand playing
>cricket? After the first day's play in the second test it looks
>like it's already in place!

Shaddupshaddupshaddupshaddup...

Danny Bourne:

>does anyone have any ideas about what life's like in areas still under the
>ban? Do you hit a wall when you reach the ban's edge, or is it like the
>land that time forgot and things only happen once the land emerges?

Things did happen in the areas inside the ban. Only the Rathori went to sleep and knew nothing of the ban. Loskalm reinvented itself as the New Hrestoli Nation. Most states experienced economic collapse and in some cases, famine. There is no outside world to trade with.

The nature of the Ban varies depending where you are. Around the borders of Loskalm, it took the appearance of a dense bank of fog which one could march into for miles without going anywhere - turn around and you're back in Loskalm within a matter of hours. At the Lunar end, it takes the appearance of an invisible wall. There are reports of Monsters which haunt the borders of the ban eating those that seek to penetrate it.