re: #174 Runes in Space!

From: gswitzer_at_loop.com
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 00:00:00 -0800

        Frederic J-M Moulin and V.S Greene were talking about a Gloranthan space-opera variant and I recalled that there very nearly was just such a product many years ago. Here is how I remember the story...

        Once upon a time, long, long ago, Nicolai Shapiro started to write his fuzzy space opera game using the RQ2 rules system with the working title "Runes in Space" with the intention of having it published by Chaosium. The Beta version was printed up in Nicolai's APA (Lords of Chaos, I believe) including the character sheet, which had a bunch of, er, sex-related manipulation skills. Anyway, Nicolai and Chaosium couldn't agree on a final contract (the hanging point was who would have the right of final edit) and Nicolai re-wrote the mechanics to the D20 system (sorta) of Aftermath/Bushido and it was published by FGU under the name "Other Suns" now sadly out of print.

        Nicolai retains the rights and, when last I talked to him, was planning on republishing "Other Suns" as shareware, but I haven't seen him in some 3 years, so who knows? Those interested might check the bargain bin at their local store or specialized dealers at cons for a copy.

        Gary R. Switzer--Aero Hobbies