Re: On spirits and souls

From: Christoph Luehr <christoph_at_tlnet.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:18:13 +0000

>In Glorantha, is a players spirit the same as her soul?
>f they are different, do characters exist concurrently on the physical =
>plane (body and soul) and the spirit plane (in spirit form)? =20
>=20
>When someone dies her soul goes to the place prepared by her god. Does =
>the spirit also make that journey?
>
>The reason why I ask this is because I am wondering how spirits would =
>feel about being summoned. Grandfather Jed might not like to be hauled =
>from the promised land (assuming that it is a nice place) if his spirit =
>resides there. He would probably have to be dragged kicking and =
>screaming to the mundane plane. If his spirit is drifting in the spirit =
>plane he might not view it as a nuisance.
>
>I'm trying to get a feel of how a spirit feels about being summoned. =
>This must be heavily influenced by where the spirit is when it is =
>summoned?

In some of the Shadowrun-Novels there are some nice examples of socalled free ghosts. If a magician summons a free ghost, the ghost is not happy about his "slavery". Sometimes he is playing tricks on his master.
This is getting really interesting if the ghost gets free. A lot of ghosts try to kill their former master. It belongs upon how the magician behaves. If he is friendly and polite, he can be a real friend. If he uses the ghost as a slave, he will be angry.

In other words,, you are the gamemaster. Try to feel like the ghost. What kind of ghost are you, what are your intentions, how does the shaman behave with you, how long is he using you, etc, etc. Another idea is to decide, who were you in life. Why not let a shaman summon a ghost from an enemy tribe ? Wouldn't that be a fun for the GM ?