Re: spirits, souls, etc.

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:21:13 +0000

> Lorne D. Booker wants to know:
> > In Glorantha, is a players spirit the same as her soul?

And Mike Cule says:
> Ahhh, a very good question. I'll confuse matters even more by pointing
> out that Greg has said that (IIRC) the West of Genertela represents the
> world's mind, the East her spirit and the central lands her soul. That
> means he sees some difference but I'm buggered if I know what it is.
Nice to know he sees a difference: I thought he would. Possibly an important thing to remember here: I've heard rumours that Greg is heavily into shamanism. So if we want to understand what he means by these terms, perhaps we should read up about shamanism and similar things. Personally I've found shamanism itself difficult to understand, but reading around it has come up with some interesting things. One book I found that gave a very clear description was: "Understanding auras" by Joseph Ostrom, pub. Aquarian Slightly different approach, but nice clear explanations and diagrams. Whether you believe any of it is up to you, but a lot of his ideas translate into Glorantha (spirit magic healing and bringing Uroxi out of Berserk, anyway). If you want to know what these things feel like, read a book by someone who thinks he's done it for real. Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/