Troll games

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:00:20 -0500 (EST)

Lorne Booker offers some very interesting troll games! I like 'em! And I think the stuff the Digest occasionally produces on childhood in Glorantha is some of the most interesting.

Just a couple comments:

Frex, since trolls can eat almost anything, witholding food in general
(not feeding them all their meals) doesn't seem like much of a motivator
- -- but offering _tasty_ food, as you suggest, is a very good one.

Frex again, the flip side is that all of these games are "instigated" by the adults -- these sound like the kinds of games that a preschool teacher would have her kids play. Not a criticism, just a comment. :)

I think another side to this would be games that the _kiddies_ want to play, that also encourage a skill (or not). Often with lots of roughousing and general naughtiness.

Some possible examples:

Junior League Trollball. Not as nasty, and use whatever small furry animal is at hand. Use appropriate soft whacking instruments. Whoever has Healing gets to be the XU stand-in at unofficial games. Some trolls might have official Junior Leagues.

Dodgebeetle. Get a number of flightless beetles and a line. Toss beetles at each other in style of "Dodgeball." Encourages throw and dodge.

Let's Kill Yelm. An "unofficial" game. The troll youth designate one of their fellows (usually a smaller, weaker, younger fellow that reeks of trollish nerddom) as "Yelm." For the rest of the day, they get to pummel and beat the poor jerk unmercifully. This teaches smaller, weaker trolls to learn how to hide and sneak Real Well, and larger trolls to learn how to find them. Usually instigated by females, who enjoy bullying and beating the weak. Trollish elders punish flagrant game players, but generally figure that the smaller troll should be able to defend itself.
(Occasionally, the smaller troll ends up a Death Lord, and looks up his
old chums. With a maul.)

Probably others possibilities I've forgotten. All those pummelings I got as a smaller, weaker troll have damaged my memory. ;)

Nice to see all the attention the trolls are getting over the past couple months on the digest, BTW. We'll clear the Solars, Mostali and Food-Elfs outta here yet. <g>

James Frusetta

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #208