Neliomi Sea, Flaming Sartar

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 97 22:05 MET

Denise L Calaway:
>Does anyone out there know of or have any additional information on
>the Sea of Neliom?

You mustn't miss the (likewise short) article on the Wolf Pirates in Tales 10, which gives detail on Ygg's Isles. A few more mentions (snippets only) are in the cult of Dormal, same issue.

>I am looking for more detailed information on:
>the Waertagi

Little is known. There was a Waertagi character at How the West Was One, with some cultural background lifted from unpublished sources.

>the various islands (Red, Vadeli and others that may not be listed in WF)

Nothing official has been published (yet). Once upon a time there was to become an Oceans Book with all the information on the islands that didn't fit into the Genertela Box, plus additional stuff, but that project has been lying low for about two years. Some of the material does exist, but waits to be published.

Vadeli have been discussed ad nauseum (literally) a while ago, check the archives for mentions of necrophilia. Their islands were mentioned in passing.

Richard Melvin:
>In other words, the Flame doesn't run round reading books on the
>genealogy of the Sartar royal house before lighting up for Kallyr - it
>just _knows_ what the truth is.

Or maybe better: _he_ just knows what the truth is. Sartar has been watching his people and especially his descendents ever since he entered/became the flame. Being snuffed out by the Lunars did hamper him for a while, true, but anybody contacting him at the brazier will receive his scrutiny.

Note that the re-lighting of the flame has about as much in common with the original ritual as did Alexander the Great's hacking of Gordian's Knot with the intention of the ancient king who tied it (get a skilled, thoughtful ruler...).